Anyone see irony in such marriage scenarios?

So many guys complain they get screwed over in divorce, yet many men's egos are smashed if they find the woman makes more than him. Would that mean many men set themselves up for failure here?

0|0
6|5

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, it depends. Most divorces involve kids, and most of the time women end up with custody (whether fairly or unfairly, but men really do get screwed over in custody battles quite often). In those cases, it's fair for the husband to pay alimony and/or child support. There are also divorces in which the woman doesn't work, so she'll need alimony until she can get a job. I think that's fair.

What I don't think is fair is a man and a woman divorcing from a two-income marriage and either one paying alimony. Whether one person makes more or less than the other shouldn't matter. There shouldn't be alimony unless one person would get completely screwed by the divorce if they didn't receive it.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• well it makes sense because society places the role of provider on men,they define their ''manliness'' based on it,but,they don't want to be screwed over. it is explainable-but it's not very well thought out on their part. it's probably hard for them to use logic instead of following their need to be seen as providers.

0|0
    1|0
    • Actually the entire problem here is that they are two different subjects:

Making less money and feeling less masculine is one subject.

Losing everything in a divorce is another subject.

They are completely irrespective of one another. Men who made less money can still lose everything in a divorce.

• not really. female breadwinners have to pay up these days. and those marriages are usually unhappy and lead to divorce-men feel unmanly,divorce,woman pays.

• Some women have been screwed. There are stories of that. It's just much less common because many women just avoid lower income guys from the start.

• very ironic indeed!

0|0
    0|0
  • yes I do

0|0
    0|0
  • ahah I have never seen that in that perspective hhahaa I agree.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ikr. Women who make more money than their counterpart have to put up with his macho man insecure ego and a higher possibility of getting f*cked over in a divorce. I avoid dudes like that

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 5

• Either the man needs to accept that he's making less than his wife and be cool with it, or he needs to step up and get a better job. That's all there is to it. Never understood the whole ego thing and causing drama over something so trivial.

2|1
    0|0
  • Just don't get married, guys. Seriously.

1|1
    2|0
  • No.

0|0
    0|0
  • Many guys get married but then don't want to be the man they have to be in order to keep and maintain it. Their own fault. Marriage is a great thing. You just have to be in the right place, mentally, emotionally, maybe even spiritually for it... and the sad thing is, with some guys, those words don't always register, or if they do, they'll more or less laugh and be like "what is this p*ssy s***?"

Those kind of men should stay away from marriage because they just don't have what it takes. You have to be a man. Not society's definition of a man. A real man.

1|0
    0|0
  • In the US, women outearn their husbands in 40% of marriages, but 92% of alimony payments are paid by the husband.

This implies two things. At least 40% of guys are happy to be outearned by women. And being outearned by your wife is no guarantee at all that she won't be able to screw you over if you get divorced.

Also, many women do want a guy who earns more than them. Personally, I've always thought there was more pressure on this issue coming from the female side than from the male side.

1|2
    1|0