Is it true that the quality of marriage is getting better?

We all know half of all marriages end in divorce, but what about the ones that don't end in divorce? Are couples happier in the marriages they have now than couples who didn't (or couldn't) divorce back in the day?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• No, I would say it is getting worse. It isn't any longer as significant as it used to be and people don't view it the same. Modern marriage is basically turning into a massive ponzi scheme that people only feel compelled to follow because of cultural norms.

• That doesn't make any sense. Why would someone NOT get a divorce if they're unhappy with the marriage.

• what part is hard to understand?. But divorce can be financially devastating, you'll need to pay legal fees for the divorce, you can lose your assets espeicially if you own property, divorce isn't as straight forward as you may think

What Guys Said 3

• I think that's partly true.

But I also think people are more willing these days to give up because of temporary problems.

I would say it's mixed results really.

• No, in fact I would suggest that it is strongly going in the opposite direction.

• Can you explain?

• years ago people got married because they were in love; but these days people get married for money, improved social status or just for the sake of wanting to be married. Couples getting married is a more commonly occurring thing which is ending more frequently in divorce, so therefore the quality of marriages must be getting worse.

• It's not half of all marriages end in divorce. The stats say that there half the amount of divorces per year than there are marriages during whatever years they happened to be talking about. Also, divorce statistics are at their lowest point since the 70s.

I'm on the fence on whether the quality of marriage is getting better or not. It seems to be me that we are moving away from that, so maybe the people that take it seriously will get married and the quality of their marriage will be better.

What Girls Said 3

• actually,only about 30% end in divorce. wouldn't know abut the quality,though.

• Nope I would think it is getting worse

• I thought it was obvious that it was getting worse

• The ones ending in divorce or in general? I don't live around too many married couples and the ones I'm around seem to be pretty happy with their decade(s) old marriage.

• that may just be your area but outside of there it is far worse