Am I the only one who finds this weird?

I am getting ready to start my freshman year of high school. I've heard some girls that I graduated with talk about how excited they are to find their husbands at college and that "if they aren't dating for marriage, it's a waste of time." Am I the only one that finds this ridiculous? Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to love, if it happens that's great, however that's not why I'm excited about college. I feel like we're only 18, we should still just be dating for fun and figuring out what we want. The fact that we just graduated from high school and people are zeroed in on finding husbands blows my find. Like I said, I'm aware that college sweethearts have lovely marriages and there is absolutely nothing wrong with serious relationships freshman year of college. I am just wanted more prospectives of this situation. Guys do you go looking for wives? Is it necessary to have this mentality? Do you find it crazy?

Most Helpful Guy

• These girls are in for a big disappointment if they think college guys are looking for a wife, or even for a serious LTR when they are only 18-20.

What Guys Said 2

• I agree with both sides - if you can't see it happening in the future already, it's just a bloody waste of time

However;

You can't know is that new person you met really the one or not, nobody knows

So taking chances is the only way

• not all college aged men are looking for ltr or marriage, though there are some

What Girls Said 2

• I think I can relate to both sides. When I started college, I really just wanted to have fun and explore. But a couple years into college, I realized that I just kept getting too emotionally attached to guys I originally just wanted to have fun with, and then was just disappointed and frustrated when it didn't work out. I also have always had a more "mature" mentality, I come from a culture where people get married very early, so for me to be 25 right now without a husband is actually pretty bad to my family lol. Some girls just look for marriage material earlier than others, while some like to explore more and be free a little longer. I do not see anything wrong with either mentality, it's just who you are, and you need to find guys who will match what you are looking for. As long as each side respects the other, whether it's the "I want a husband" or "I want to have fun" side, I don't see any problems. So if you want to have fun and explore, go right ahead! Have fun! But definitely respect your friends' choices and mentality, maybe they really are ready for that serious of a commitment, in which case let them be. I do agree with previous poster though that guys college age are VERY rarely looking for THAT serious of a commitment, so those girls looking for husbands might be a bit disappointed, that's all. But that's not your problem :) Enjoy college!

• Yes, it's a little ridiculous.

I don't think people should make marriage such a guaranteed achievable goal, they may end up marrying the wrong person just to call themselves successful.

People should try to enjoy the ride more, rather than only focusing on what they're going to get out it in the future.