How do you make a marriage work?

Everyone knows marriage isn't easy. It takes a lot of effort. The woman should be the head of the household and the husband should be submissive to his wife. As the head of the household, the wife should discipline her husband. Divorce is not an option. Anyone agree?

Most Helpful Guy

• I actually read a scientific thing on that a while back, it's called a female led relationship, or domestic discipline. While a lot of what it said made sense, some of it seemed a little cooky.

What Girls Said 11

• My friend says it is simple really...

Keep his belly full...

and his d*** empty.

• Responsibilities and decisions should be shared equally, I don't believe in there being a "head" of the household.

Open and honest communication about all things so there is no resentment or confusion.

Respect for each other.

Effort by both people to keep things fun and interesting.

SOME things can still remain a mystery lmao, close the bathroom door.

Don't get too comfortable and stop putting in the effort.

Lastly, complete honesty about all things. Even the small things. If you cannot communicate with each other about the small things how are you supposed to with big things. Lack of honesty also leads to lack of trust, no trust no respect.. and so on.

I personally don't believe people should be quick to divorce. I think they should put in the work to seek out all other options first, as they did promise to stay with this person for the rest of their life.

Its important to not make this decision lightly, which many people have a problem with, they are in too much of a hurry. If you are going to spend the rest of your life together anyway, I don't see the point in rushing to a wedding. Be together for awhile first and definitely live together first to see what its going to be like day to day.

You find a lot more out about someone when you live with them lol.

• I don't agree. Maybe that might work for some marriages, but I doubt it would work for the majority.

To me, communication and equality is key. Both should be held responsible for household chores (cooking, cleaning, bills) as well as getting a steady income. Basically, both should be the "head of the household" and make decisions and compromises together, rather than separately. I don't think that the woman should have to discipline and take care of her husband like a mother, and neither do I believe that the husband should be the "breadwinner" who gets to demand food and sex whenever he wants to simply because he's the one with the money. Divorce should always be an option, but it should NOT be the go-to solution to every single argument that might arise.

Obviously, if some women feel like they'd rather stay at home and do all the chores rather than work, that's fine. Reversed would also be fine (the man staying at home while the woman works) as long it's something the both of them want. Personally, I wouldn't be able to do that, but neither do I think my opinions should control what everyone else should want and have. It really boils down to what the two people in the relationship want, and not what society/their families/friends expect out of them.

• Marry the right person. Most marriages fail because they married the wrong partner, so when a relationship that is frail has added pressures added to it (like kids, a mortgage, etc), the already weak foundation cracks completely.

I'm not saying that if you marry the right person, your marriage will be without its problems. However, you'll be able to get through them a lot better.

• Eh..well that's a bit inflexible.

I've never been married so my opinion is very limited but I think the key to any successful relationship is feeling fortunate for have what you have. The minute you start looking around and comparing other "options" you're on a slippery slope to misery and perceived lack of satisfaction.

It's well known that the more options you are given the less happy you are about the one you chose even if you were sure at the time of choosing that it was by far the best. This is a major reason people fall out of love. They forget how lucky they are to be where they are and start approaching things with resentment.

If you're grateful for the wonderful man/woman you love and who, through some miracle, loves you back then there are few problems you will face that can't be overcome. There doesn't need to be any rigid structure of how things should be just communicate and work together as a team. Love isn't selfish so discipline sounds ridiculously unnecessary.

• Someone may agree, but certainly not me.

• i guess that works for sub-dom relationships. but,different things work for different relationships,obviously if the girl is submissive and the guy is dominant they need a switch there,and if they are into that at all-they just work together. divorce should be an option in any of those marriages,that's like saying ''it's okay that they hit you/that you're miserable/that you're wasting your life''

• U flip some bitches

• A successful marriage is one in where both sides realize that no one is really the head of the household and that they're in it together and need to work together.

• The man is the head of the household and the woman is the neck that turns the head.

• If l were to say the same thing about the man the whole question thread would turn into an angry uproar.

• What? Nobody should be disciplined or submissive in a marriage (unless you're into that kind of thing). Marriage is a partnership between two equals.

What Guys Said 11

• Marriage dynamics are incredibly different. Ask any two different couples and odds are you're going to get two completely different answers.

Keys to marriage are this:

Make sure you're comfortable in your dynamic. If you are a submissive male, you need to be with a dominant female. If you're a dominant female, you need to know whether you want a submissive male or an even more dominant male. If you're shooting for completely equal, that's fine too just find someone else who feels the same way.

Communication at all times. Complete honesty. Keep tempers in check. TALK.

Sexual chemistry is a MUST. Communication plays a large role here too. Don't be afraid to experiment with new things in the bedroom. Sexual boredom is a marriage killer.

• 1. Sex is being put on a pedestal by many people here ("keep his belly full and his balls empty")

2. Question asker gets off on dominant women.

3. This question is ridiculous. Your wife should be your friend in the first place.

• Lol, periodic role reversals are the real secret to a lasting relationship imao! Sometimes the woman takes the lead, sometimes the man...

• Maybe you wish to be submissive, but many guys don't.

• Not in the slightest! Would you want to live like that?

• Only option is to get a divorce.

• What planet are you from? Marriage is a partnership that requires constant “quality” communication.

You should stop smoking so much Marijuana, it’s frying what is left of your brain.

• I agree that marriage takes effort and is not easy. However, the marriage should be an equal partnership; neither should be head over the other or discipline the other. (You discipline children, not life partners.) Divorce is always an option; in the USA, the divorce rate is 50% for first marriages, 67% for second marriages and 73% for third marriages.

• Most women don't want the responsibilities of being head of the household. They want the easy life of being taken care of

• Very few couples would be happy with that arrangement. Most women can't stand being head of the household, they try to take control, but hate it, and will cheat if they are.

• That's a good way to get cheated on - women want men, not servants.