Would you approach a girl who wears an engagement ring?

Hi;

I am a bit curious. (This goes for guys and even lesbians)

Would you approach or show interested in a girl who is wearing an engagement ring, and even sometimes wear it along with a married band on her left ring finger?

>>>My mother gave me her engagement ring and wedding band as a gift when I graduated from 8th grade, and I've been wearing it since then; I am now 21, and I have been wearing it since I am 13 years old. I am not engaged, never have had a boyfriend, and I am far away of getting married for at least 4 years minimum.

If you ask me why do you wear it then?

Well, I've heard of stories of "promise rings," so back then I personally/secretly decided to use it as my "own promise ring," a promise to the goals in life that I want to achieve before getting into a serious relation and getting married. I have had guys asking me about it, I just tell them it's a promise ring. I say nothing more.

My parents have never questioned this action.

I know that with this I some-how push people away, and I understand the consequences, but I am not ready for dating. In fact, people who know me have never seeing me attached to any one.>>>

I just want your views... I just want to know what others think about it. Feel free to share, your honest comments will not offend me.

Thanks.

I don't have a problem with this, okay? I just want your (male) views to this, that's all.

Thanks for all your comments.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would think the guys who would are the ones you don't want to be dating.

If you feel you must wear them, I'd suggest wearing them on your right hand.

What Guys Said 14

• No I would not... and you basically wearing a guy repellent wearing an engagement ring. And the guys who would approach you would be creeps.

• Yeah thanks. Exactly... That's what I think of the ones that do.

• Oh ha ha I understand. The ring will work in your favor then!

• That's the point.

• Guys in their teens and early 20s won't think to look.

Older guys who hit on you would be looking for NSA and are probably in relationships themselves.

• Yp got to agree to that!

• I don't approach a woman with any ring on her ring finger, no matter if it looks like a wedding ring or not. As a sidenote, if you wait until you are ready to date, it's kind of hard to just flip a switch and suddenly start dating.

• i wouldn't approach a woman with a ring.

sure some women wear it just for tradition, but most wear it because they are married.

• Absolutely not.

• 100% chance I wouldn't approach.

Why would I risk my self-esteem, reputation, ego, all for a girl that is a numbers game, THEN top it off with the fact that she's wearing an engagement ring? Pft.

The best scenario is we are classmates, co-workers, where we are already talking regardless and I can gauge the situation from there.

• i might notice it but it wouldn't change much honestly. Much more important is how you would be conversing with me which would tell me everything I need to know

• I did. She kept talking so I figure why not. Girls have all kinds of rings on their fingers these days.

• No, it's kind of like a label that says "dont ask me, I'm not interested" lol

• Yes.

Because rings don't mean squat nowadays ...thank you women (and yeah, that's sarcasm, as it would be better to know instantly which women were off the market and which women were not)

• And yeah, I'm like the anon below me - I haven't got a clue which hand has the which ring on. And "promise rings" (which supposedly are that you are saving yourself for sex with the "right" man) seem to be an US thing only ..luckily!

• I am not from the U.S... I am from "Central America."

• Potato potato ;) But my answer still stands - especially that rings on fingers don't mean anything now, sadly. And surprisingly it's not feminists that have ruined it for us guys

• off the top of head, I don't really know which hand an engagement/wedding ring goes on. So if I see a ring, I certain wouldn't approach. Also, I've know women that wear engagement like rings to avoid getting hit on by guys. Rarely works, not every guy notices jewelry.

• Good. But yeah it's true... Sometimes we "girls" forget that guys are so attentive to detail as we are.

• Ups... I meant: Guys are "not" as attentive to detail as "we" are.. Sorry!

• No I wouldn't.

But if you're not ready for dating, I don't see what the problem is.

• No... I don't have a problem friend... It's just that I I am curios to the views of this action. That's all.

• I wouldn't because I don't want to have her boyfriend or husband sneak up on me and knock me out. If you want guys to approach your, don't give or show signs that you're taken. An engagement ring or a wedding band is a sign that you're taken.

• lmao, omg the things that girls think men notice about them lol.

first of all, I wouldn't even notice things like what finger or what kind of ring was on her hand. unless a girl tells me she's engaged or married, then she's not engaged or married. from my POV, she's just wearing another ring on her hands.

secondly, once I have actual knowledge that she's engaged or married, then why the hell would I even want to bother with her? guys aren't like girls, they don't look at engaged or married women and think, "Oh, I want to see if I can snatch her away from her man. If I do, then I'll validate to myself that I'm so much way better than this other man." Sorry.

What Girls Said 3

• I was willed my great grandma's wedding ring after she died and I wear it on my right hand as homage to her.

Personally I wouldn't trust a guy who approaches girls with wedding/engagement rings on. It shows he doesn't take commitment and fidelity very seriously.

• This is a messed up question if ever I saw 1! Anyhow wear rings on the right hand... If you don't want to date say you don't want to date your a grown woman now, have a voice! Why can't you be honest? Sounds like some sort of messed up game to me. Why would your mother give you her wedding & engagement rings when you were 13? Those kid of things go to the nearest & dearest when the owner dies? Are your parents still together? Not understanding the rational you were thinking posting this silly question

• Hey, I agree with you, this is a stupid question that can only be asked online. I am just curious okay, that's all.

Why can't I be honest? Well I just don't want to even bother in answering questions that's all.

And yes, both my parents are alive and happily living together.. I don't know why mom did that back then really... My dad replaces their rings like every anniversary.

To answer your last statement, I did out of just curiosity. I'm sure you asked silly questions before.

• Of course guys would. Guys like what they can't have