Why is it acceptable for people to live together before marriage?

Almost every couple that lives together is having sex, and if society is traditional then it shouldn't like that.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well in my opinion it's sort of isn't so if you're going to live together you might as will be married and having sex

What Girls Said 9

• Not everyone wants to live traditional lives. Not everyone wants to follow society's views of "right" and "wrong". Who cares if two people want to live together and have pre-marital sex? How is that affecting you? I say, let people live how they want, I couldn't care less.

• People once thought burning others at the stake was perfectly fine. Times change. If you don't think it's right to live with someone or have sex before marriage then don't do it. But it's not really your place to say its wrong for others to do it. They're not hurting anybody else.

• It "shouldn't be like that"?

Says who, and what gives them the right to make that decision for other people?

• What's acceptable to some may not be acceptable to others. If you don't find it acceptable, don't do it.

• If I had a boyfriend and depending on how long we've been together I'd for sure want to move in with him to escape my current home. However for personal values I'm saving it for marriage. I feel marriage would be the best thing for me. However, I do respect everyone's opinion and everyone's decision in terms of your question. If they want to move in and make love, I say let it be, I know what I want and will save it till marriage so it doesn't bother me what people do. I'll be happy in the end because of my choices :)

• Do you come from a land down under?

Can you hear, can you hear the thunder? ;)

PRIME MINISTER TONY ABBOTT!

• hahhaa don't know how that is relevant but yeah man I come from the land down under :D

My guess is you're also Australian due to your comment about the PM..

And no I can't hear the thunder I can only see the ray of sunlight :P

• Well people are having sex anyway...

• Well, most people aren't really all that "traditional" anymore.

• I think people do it mostly for economic reasons.

• Most people don't wait until marriage to have sex. It's not as common, frankly, it's VERY difficult to do.

I definitely will live with a man before I marry him. It's one of the progression steps towards marriage, for me. I can't imagine marrying someone and never having had sex with him or lived with him. I'd rather know MORE about what I'm promising for life.

• Agreed. Hell, I don't know anyone who would buy a car without test-driving it first, but we're supposed to make a lifetime commitment to another human being without knowing if we're even compatible or not?

If that kind of gamble is what "tradition" is all about then I'll happily be non-traditional, lol...

• Ditto, Silvaria :-)

• Good answer. Not waiting is the new tradition.

What Guys Said 6

• Why not? Regardless if it's traditional or not the real question should be 'why do we feel the need to dictate how other people choose to live their lives?'

We have great forms of protection nowadays too so it isn't like they're all getting pregnant or getting STDs if they're being responsible.

• Wouldn't you want to know what it is going to be like before you get married? If you are going to pull the traditional card think of it this way, you are going to dedicate the rest of your life to being with one person do want to know before or after you make it offical how well the two of you can stand living together?

• Why is it acceptable to try on shoes before you buy them?

• Because premarital sex is acceptable. It's OK to get your d*** wet man. Go get some strange ass.

• Cause it isn't the year 1700 anymore. And it harms no one.

• It isn't acceptable. We, as humans, just don't care enough to enforce it.