Objectively (don't inject your opinion), do you think it is possible to reverse this pro-gay marriage trend?

I will not budge my opinion on it. I believe marriage is a sacred institution dating back to the beginning of recorded history, and I will NEVER agree that there should be any other definition to it. I am very disturbed by the sheer # of people, particularly young people who seem to be embracing this view... so much so that there are a lot of people with positions in my party that I don't think they deserve who are openly pro-gay marriage. This is just BAD and it must stop.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, of course. Propaganda turned the public, not ethical enlightenment, so there's no reason this won't reverse with time. It has actually gone back and forth multiple times throughout history.

• People don't realize that the media has spoon-fed them their opinions.

• Well whatever the case I'm not one to judge. He wanted an objective answer and that is the only objective answer there is; if you can win people with propaganda today you can win them with propaganda tomorrow.

What Girls Said 5

• You ask us not to give our own opinion yet this entire question is simply a rant of your opinion...

Most people don't "embrace" gay marriage, they just embrace personal freedoms and the ability for people to choose how they want to live their own lives. I'm not gay but who am I to say that someone can't marry who they want? That has no effect at all on me. It's their own personal choice. And honestly, I think the divorce rate in America speaks for itself. The "sanctity" of marriage is not ruined by gay people, a vast majority of straight people don't even take marriage seriously.

But objectively, no. Social change is inevitable in life and I don't see the "pro-gay marriage tend" (as you put it) reversing in the future.

• Great answer +1

It doesn't matter whether we agree with the marriage of gay people or not it comes down to personal freedoms and us all having the right to live our lives as we choose as long as we aren't hurting anyone. So in reality personal opinion goes out the window when it comes to personal freedom.

• Exactly. I think most people will agree that they don't like having their personal freedoms infringed upon. Who other people want to marry has no affect on me. It's not up to anyone else to decide who someone can or cannot be with.

• Although you chose to voice your own *personal opinion* about the topic, if we are to speak objectively, then objectively, I think any and every person is entitled to the right to love whomever they please.

See, the beautiful thing about genuine love is that it's not subject to "definitions" and "boxes", etc. It's uncontainable, because it's immeasurable. And objectively speaking, what business - or right - is it of anyone's to try to put restrictions on something that, in its most purest form, is unconditional? The second a person or group of people try to mold "love" to their standards, is the second that in that attempt, they destroy it. That is not love, that is oppression. And the two have nothing to do with each other, objectively speaking of course ;)

• No

• people just need to have morals. everyone.

• uh oh buddy. Here comes other users to attack you with homophobic rants .

Brace yourself.

What Guys Said 8

• Why are you are permitted to voice your negative opinions about gay marriage, but you request that anyone who answers your question refrain from giving their opinion? That is not a fair exchange of ideas. If you did not want to hear other people's opinions regarding the legitimacy of gay marriage, then you should have refrained from giving your own. Asking the question without editorializing would have been preferable...

Also, the wording of your question could imply that there is some trend in which gay marriage is being "promoted" as an alternative to traditional marriage for people who would otherwise be engaging in a heterosexual marriage. In fact, the trend is in the *acceptance* of gay marriage, for those people who happen to be gay...

In any case, my opinion-less answer is that it is highly unlikely that the trend of gay marriage acceptance can be reversed--barring some radical shift of society toward fundamentalism, which I think is unlikely unless some disaster disrupts the course of civilization...

• Not in the foreseeable future, no. Its substantially gaining momentum.

That said whether gay people marry or not has relatively little impact on heterosexuals.

If you care about marriage, worry about the fact that poorer Americans aren't getting married at all.

• Objectively? No... As you said, everyone is going pro gay marriage even the nazi pope did... Don't know much about the newer one, but he probably will as well.

• and with that I lose all respect for you

• EVERY GERMAN CHILD WAS IN THE HITLER YOUTH

YOU HAD NO CHOICE

• I don't recall him being outraged at all by it.

• Not really, no.

Increasingly, people take more of a "live and let live" approach (which is probably the only way for everyone to get along in an increasingly diverse society), and also base their decisions on logic and hard facts - and opposing things like gay marriage pretty much flies in the face of both those concepts.

• I don't know anyone who's straight (no matter how pro-gay the might be) who isn't grossed out by watching two men kiss each other. Why is that?

• getting ideas palek ;) LOOL

• Because our orientation is hardwired? Because we couldn't choose to be gay? Presumably they couldn't choose to be straight?

I'd say its a good reason why it -should- be legalized.

• Many people choose to be gay AND heterosexual at once. Aleister Crowly said he chose to also practice homosexuality because it "perverted God's creation". He was a real sweetheart.

• I'm assuming this is a troll so I will go ahead and report it accordingly.

• Or you can stop being a bigot and trying to force your morality on others like a Nazi? You have every right to think that gay marriage is wrong. But you have NO right to try to force that belief on others by legislation.

In reality, the government should get completely out of the marriage business altogether. No licenses, no tax breaks, etc. Then, let marriage be whatever the consenting adults want it to be, whether that is in a church with a priest or out in the woods with some hippy throwing squirrel turds at them. It's not my business and I have zero right to tell them they are wrong, jut like you.

• You would have to delegalize gay marriage in states that have approved it. So, no. Also, it's not a trend. It's progress.

• DOMA

state laws are illegal as they are against federal law

• V except that DOMA was found unconstitutional.

• Not be SC