What is the deal with a prenup?

Me personally I think it is smart to make sure you go out a marriage with what you came into a marriage with. Nobody goes into a marriage thinking it's going to be over soon, but there is always a chance it might happen. How do you feel about a prenup?

Most Helpful Guy

• How about we consider, for a moment, "Until Death Do Us Part" and see the wisdom of a prenup and a family trust to go with it.

Man A marries Woman A.

Woman A dies of natural causes. Man A has all. They have children together, called family A.

Man A wants to get remarried, because he is lonely. Enter woman B, who also has kids from a previous existence, called family B.

Now, Man A wants to leave his lifetime of wealth he got with Woman A to family A, because it is family A's rightful entitlement to get what Man A and Woman A earned together.

Likewise, Woman B wants to do the same with her children, for family B.

If Man A marries Woman B, essentially whichever dies first is "winner take all" and one family will be disinherited as all the wealth transfers to the remaining surviving spouse, which in turn goes to THEIR children in their will. So if man A dies first, family B gets family A's inheritance as well as family B's (rightful) inheritance, and family A receives nothing.

I don't know if the prenup covers it specifically, but legal agreements of this nature for the purpose of death and taxes make lots of sense. You will want what each party brought into the marriage to at least be separate from the marriage and committed to the descendants Trustee as part of a Living Trust. In my example, divorce is never invoked.

What Guys Said 5

• Prenups are a bad idea. When you sign a prenup, you anticipate problems. You're essentially saying you don't trust each other enough to stay married to each other. You're saying "I want to commit myself to this person for the rest of my life. I'm absolutely sure of this. But just in case..." No, that's the wrong mindset to have.

• I will be getting a prenuptial agreement 101%. Even if the terms are "We split everything 50-50". I'm not letting my potential wife turn into a greedy bitch and take all my money, if we divorce. I'd honestly rather kill myself.

• Pre nup's are often discarded by judges in court and then you proceed as if not even having one., which means the man gets raped.

Bet option is to NEVER marry, it's the only logical choice.

• I was not aware that the judge could just throw away an agreement that contains both party's signatures and has been overseen by a lawyer :o

• i agree with you completely. Its only the thieves that don't like prenups because it ensures they can't steal someones money. In older days where women couldn't work etc I can understand why there was alimony and splitting wealth.. but now it is outdated and even wrong. Prenups are for sure if you have lots of money.. only a fool woudlnt get one if they are rich.

• Ugh...bought my mom a house a while back. If I get married anytime soon I'm gonna want a pre-nup. Not sure how most women will take that. I've seen how bad divorce is. She can have everything I own, don't care really. I earned once, I can do it again. Buying my mom another house isn't that easy.

• BCRanger10 makes a good point - it's a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.

However, the way more and more women seem to love to divorce and take men for everything they can these days, and the fact that the courts show a huge bias in favor of women, I think the prenup is the lesser of the two evils and a very wise choice.

What Girls Said 4

• Prenups are generally pointless. In Canada (where I live), they only hold up in court if you divorce within the first 5 years of marriage. They DO NOT protect your material assets (like your house or cars) and only protect your financial assets. If you and your partner are equal in terms of income and net worth, a prenup isn't going to benefit anybody. Plus you're just anticipating problems down the road when you sign one. Married couples who split up should know how to do so amicably and equally, especially when there are children. They're adults, not 5 year olds fighting over who gets what.

• If I ever get married I think I would get a prenup as a precaution or agree with my future husband that if were to get a divorce we would go 50/50 with our assets.

• If I get married I (and my boyfriend) are against the idea of prenups. And his dad's a lawyer and he's going to be a lawyer so if anyone were for them I'd guess it'd be that family.

In my boyfriend's words, "A prenup is basically saying you expect the relationship to fail."

I can see why some people would want prenups and all but my boyfriend and I were raised the old fashioned way where you don't marry someone unless you're 100% sure you can make it work and where divorce isn't an option.

Besides, I'm going to be pulling six figures with the career I intend to have and he will be pulling six figures as well. If a divorce (heaven forbid) should happen, I'd like to think I (whose 6 figures is less than his 6) am nice enough to just go quietly without "taking him for all he's got." I'm really not that type of person.

Plus $115,000 a year is more than enough for me to live on. It'd just be ridiculous to ask for more. He can take his $260,000 a year and live on that, and I'll take my $115,000 and live on that and that'd be the end of it.

I was raised to value money and work hard and not rely on someone else to provide for you. My stance on this wouldn't change if I divorced.

• Where I live pre nups are useless are not valid after a certain amount of time of being married. So I don't see a point to a pre nup.