Ladies & Gents I need your help. Which engagement ring do you like more?

So yup, I'm making that horribly irrational decision to pair myself with one person for the rest of my life. But I guess we are irrational beings right?

I'm torn between two rings, well really two cuts of diamonds. I'd appreciate your opinions

Asscher Cut Diamond in a Halo setting

link

Cushion Cut Diamond in a Halo setting

link

Thanks in advance for your help

• Asscher
  • Cushion
thanks for all the opinions so far. really do appreciate them. the vote is pretty split as of now 12 vs 15

Most Helpful Girl

• Hey, that's great! Both rings are nice, but I like the Asscher more. I'm quite partial to the squarer cuts as I have a Princess cut and I love it. Your girlfriend will probably like anything you get for her.

What is her overall jewellery style or taste like? Like with me, I don't wear a whole lot and nothing very sparkly either, so a halo would be way too much for me. I'm all about simplicity, lol. In terms of your selections there, I really like the Asscher as it's not a diamond cut that you see too often. There is a modified Asscher called Octavia, which is slightly more octagonal and has more facets. I don't think Blue Nile carries them though.

The Cushion cut is also nice, and I think it's an older style of diamond cut. Radiant cut diamonds are very similar to Cushions. Cushion cuts look better in the halo setting than as a solitaire, whereas Asscher is pretty either way (to me anyways).

My own engagement ring is not from Blue Nile, but I do have earrings and a necklace from them. They're great, seriously.

• thanks for the answer. I've never heard of the octavia. I'm not buying through blue nile it just had examples to put up here. my girlfriend wears relatively simple jewelry rarely any gemstones and no diamonds. I actually don't even expect that she'll wear the engagement ring all that much. I'm leaning towards teh asscher cause it's not as sparkly. the cushion appears bigger but I like the way the asscher looks

• But yeah, cut and clarity are more important overall than carat or color. "Cut" does not refer to the shape, but rather the symmetry and proportion of the facets relative to it's size. link

• If you think the halo would be too blingy for her but the solitaire too plain, you can go for a ring that has pave or channel set stones in the band.

What Girls Said 22

• OMGGGGG I LOVE THESE QUESTIONS!

ok before I open the links imma say that it comes down to what you think would suit your girl and her hand better because its about her at the end of the day

now lets see:)

i personally am more in love with square-ish rings because they look so dang elegant so I'm going with the Asscher Cut:)

all the best by the way, even tho I don't personally know you I'm SO happy for u:)

• thanks. and thanks for the suggestion. I'm definitely keeping in mind what she wants. I'm thinking the halo looks a little bit flashy for her taste but the solitaires look so stark...I'm leaning towards the asscher but the cushion is getting good responses so I'm conflicted

• yeh I'm noting a lot of good feedback on the cushion. it is beautiful but id say its more graceful as someone said, the asscher looks more bold to me, that's what geometry does in jewellery, the cushion has softer edges making it appear more elegant I guess but the asscher is more daring I think. look as you know it all comes down to your lady- I'm sure no matter what you choose she will b over the moon!:D

• Wow! They're both beautiful, you have great taste in jewelry. Lol

I personally really like the Asscher ring although both look very sophisticated and glamorous. I just like the shape of the first one slightly more. I'm sure your girlfriend would be very happy with either of them though.

Good luck popping the question! :)

• i agree the asscher looks a bit more sophisticated and unique compared to a lot of other diamond cuts.

• Yeah, I feel like circular diamond cuts are so common, I really like the square shaped cut:)

• I think the Asscher cut is a bit more dynamic and bold. I feel like the Cushion cut is nice and simple but doesn't stand out in a crowd- I feel like most engagement rings are round and I think the Asscher, being square, is more original and stunning. I think it's a bit more eye catching and I would much rather show my friends/family/coworkers the Asscher instead of the Cushion/

Hope that helps, but I'm sure she'll love either one. Best of luck and pre-congrats!

• both are lovely however, the cushion cut looks a little to squashed together, where as the asscher appears to be more elegantly laid out to me

but I would suggest making up a fake advertisement with both rings in them or something and subtly ask her or get a friend to ask her as all women have different tastes/opinions

congratulations by the way :)

• thanks. the advertisement idea is pretty good. I wonder where I could get and subtlely have a diamond mag... there is one friend of hers in particular who I think would have a good opinion but I don't have her info and she is shockingly not on Facebook

• maybe I could steal teh friends ph# out of my gf's cell hmmmm

• That would be good just make sure she doesn't catch you and think your snooping lol

• Congratulations! :) They're both really nice, but I think the Asscher looks better. Sorry you're not getting much of a consensus lol, we're all so split. '^^ Go with what you think she'll like though.

• haha no not much consensus. but that's how I feel as well I like both for slightly different reasons

• Congrats! Wish you the best

I like B. Atheistically it looks more pleasing :)

• thanks. I agree it is eye catching. and it looks bigger even though it is techniquely almost the same weight of diamond

• yes... and girls love that :)

• Honestly, I don't like either ring...

but out of the two, I guess I like Asscher a little better.

• I loved the Asscher! Really pretty and elegant

• Cushion. she's gonna be a very lucky women. hope you guys work everything out, and live and die happily together <3

• i like the cushion cut a lot more because it's classier and more timeless. I feel with the Asscher cut it looks a lot like a lot of cubic zirconia rings. Plus, the Asscher cut is more for colored diamond or reli reli big rocks to show off the size.

• I prefer the cushion cut diamond. Good Luck :)

• thanks!

do you dislike anything about the asscher or just like the cushion more?

• The asscher has a very square cut, that's the only reason why I prefer it

• Cushion cut, its more feminine

• Cushion Cut Halo Diamond Engagement Ring

• do you dislike anything about the asscher or just like the cushion more?

• i have tried to be observant of her style. she wears very little jewelry with diamonds or any other gem stones. I almost expect that she'll wear the ring for the engagement or under circumstances and then just stow it somewhwere safe...which I'm fine with. I just want her to like it, I kinda expect that she won't wear it a lot (just the way she and her friends and sisters are)

• Oh that's fine. Maybe she would like the square one

• Cushion. I'm not sure why but it looks more graceful haha.

• the cushion is a vintage cut supposedly styled after the rings usually given in old school 1700 and 1800 monarchal (king/queen) nuptials... probably why it has that graceful look

• Cushion all the way... CONGRATS!

• I think the rounder one (cushion) just spoke to me more than the square looking one (asscher) :)

• I like the cushion cut. I think the other one looks kind of immature and fake.

• 2nd one please!best wishes

• love the second one and congratulations

• thanks...

• No its just a preference did you propose yet I have been so busy with school

• not yet. a father of one of my friend's designing the ring so hopefully he'll be finished within the next week or so ... the anticipation is killing me

• Congratulations. I like cushion cut :)

• Cushion Cut Diamond in a Halo setting is so beautiful

• Something about the cushion 'feels right', which is why I like it more. There's just something about it. Nothing wrong with the asscher though =)

• First of all, congratulations! :-)

I like Cushion better, personally. It's less rigid.

I accidentally hit A though, I meant to vote B.

• Asscher looks more clear if that makes sense. Both are very nice and she'll be happy with either, I'm sure.

• makes sense. the cushion is a pretty deep diamond so it reflects a lot of light so it doesn't look as clear but is more sparkly...i'm leaning towards the asscher as well

thanks!

• Sparkly...sparkly is good. Tough choice.

What Guys Said 7

• We had plain silver rings, no stone, no special cut: it's the important meaning that counts, not the shape or price of the ring.

• even the engagement ring? I know wedding bands are usually pretty simple, especially for the guy

• i've always appreciated that that area. beat of your own drum.

• *apreciated that about that area*

• I think the cushion diamond is much more "dainty", and less bulky than the "square" asscher cut diamond.

But I think they are both lovely :)

• Cushion cut, but do you know which one she will like?

• I don't know per se. I think she'll like anything I get. A few people I've talked to have said the cushion looks a little too much like costume jewelry which I don't think she'd like...the cushion cut is one of the older cuts and does have a vintage look which may be why people think it is costumey

• Well y'all should be at least talking about something related to marriage...you can still get her ideas on what she'd like. Then the time/place/way you do it could be a surprise.

Much better than her getting something she doesn't care for, IMO.

• agree. we've discussed marriage and all that so that isn't a concern. I'd obviously like the proposal and the ring to as much a surprise as possible but I do agree about making sure its' something she'd like

• Congrats my friend =) I liked the one in the second link better

• I personally like the cushion cut more, I'd pick that one if I was going to propose to a girl.

• She probably wouldn't care as what type of stone you pick, as long as she stays married to you for a few years then takes you to court and takes half your money lol JK. BTW I like the first one.

• The first one I like better but to be honest I am not crazy about either one. I like more separation between the stone and the setting. Congratulations man

• good advice. thanks

• Anytime man