Surnames after marriage

What do you think about the taking of your spouse's surname after marriage, in either direction.

Most importantly why?

• Wife takes husband's surname.
  • Husband takes wife's surname.
  • Both keep their surnames.
  • Both take a new surname.
  • Each takes the other's surname.

Most Helpful Girl

• depends what his last name is LOL!

What Girls Said 9

• I would want to take my husband's surname, but if I dont' like the sound of his particularly, then I'll hyphenate it with mine. I like my last name as well so...but I would prefer to take my future husband's surname

• I'll most likely end up with two surnames. I don't want to hyphenate, as it sounds incredibly stupid with what my name would be. But I want to keep my name, as I'm working hard to get my PhD and I never dreamed of being called by my guy's last name, but by my own. Is that understandable?

But truthfully, I don't think it matters much. It's one of those things that everyone has their own preference on.

• Hyphenating my fiance's surname and mine would be 18 letters long so I will not be doing that. Plus I think it's only respectful to take on his surname as my own since we are joining in marriage.

• i don't know yet but it'll probably only be me who's changing the surname. either taking his surname, hyphenating it with my own or just leaving it as is...that's just what I grew up with and I don't mind it..

it's really hard to think about it actually cause I want to take his name cause I feel like we are then bonded in a way but I've had my surname for so long I don't really want to abandon it...

• I may end up changing my surname for traditional purposes, to show that he's important to me and all.

But I've also thought about hyphenating because I'm really proud of my last name and don't want to lose it.

• I plan to take my fiancee's name after we are married but I think I may hypenete (sp) it because I don't want to lose mine since it's all girls in my family I want to carry on the name, but I feel it's important to take his name becuase it shows that I truly want a piece of him attached to me forever

• I don't think there should be a general requirement. I would rather keep my last name or hyphenate it. I would expect my husband to keep his last name, but it wouldn't really matter to me. Whatever he wanted to do would be fine.

• wife takes husbands surname. its tradition.

• Wife takes husband's name, why? tradition. Plus, I hate my last name lol.

What Guys Said 4

• I would LOVE to take my wife's surname!

My last name is ugly and terrible, and I'm the submissive type. =]

Unless her last name isn't good either. ._. Then I'm screwed! >_<

Last names don't matter that much though, right? Just how much you love one another~

• Roman and latin tradition: women and men both carry the family names of both their mother and their father officially (at a minimum.) This seems a good system to me!

• I think it should be optional, I don't need my wife someday to take my last name. If she wants to do that, that's totally fine, but I wouldn't force her.

• Pamela Martha Focker

It could be you...