Why marriage is not valued much?

Why marriage is not valued much? Both men and women get married in later years. The first difficulty, and the marriage breaks.

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a topic that has loads of "if" and "because" and requires time and good thinking to answer. Mainly it's a new society thing. The sex cult rules now, and our brains are washed day to day with things like how cool is to have friends with benefits and live free and be happy and just think about our own happiness and career and blah blah blah. People are not that conservative anymore, nor we have trust like our parents used to. We are scared of commitment because half of people we know are getting a divorce (cause it's easy). We lack strength, self motivation and understanding than it comes to relationship. Kids don't get the right "education" (over tv, internet, books, real life around them).

Ugh, you can get very deep thinking about it.

• thanks for b/a :)

What Girls Said 2

• I know right. Someoe I used to know got married and divorced within just a few hrs.

I had no idea FOREVER was a few hrs long...

• People want easy fixes, and that's divorce. Most people don't want to put in the effort to fix their marriage.

What Guys Said 6

• your questions presumes a lot.

despite rising divorce rates and people marrying later in life the fact is the vast majority of people get married so there is still a high value on marriage.

but men and women getting married later in life? I think that comes about for several reasons. Raising life expectancy, higher rate of college attendance, science that allows people to give birth later in life, etc... The fact of the matter is in the a thousand years ago people married in their teens because they needed to start a family and such before their early death. Now life can be taken slower because there is less urgency

higher rates of divorce? because people understand that they don't have to stay in an unhappy marriage. the schism surrounding divorce isn't what it was 100 or even 50 years ago. so people don't feel like they HAVE to stay in a bad marriage

I don't think either the age at which people get married or the higher divorce rates are any clear indication of a devaluation of marriage. If statistics showed that more people stay single then I would consider that a sign that marriage isn't valued as highly

• Honestly, that could be a thing more prevalent and common in the west. I think even the divorce rates are pretty high there. Here in the east & esp. the country I come from we value traditions very much, except that a few urbanized and gradually westernizing crowd as they call themselves are into live in and stuff. Here in India, there are 'n' no.of marriages which are arranged by the parents of the bride and the groom and they kinda have a higher success rate. Even love marriages here do have a high success rate as the couples come from a background of strong family values.

In rare cases, rather many, where the wife is a culprit of domestic violence by the husband do irreconciable situations arise. I actually don't have anybody among my contacts or relatives who have been through a divorce barring one distant cousin. I believe the couple needs to work on their marriage, or give each other some space to think, and arrive on mutually beneficial terms.

Easterners believe more in repairing, Westerners perhaps more in replacement...I've heard :) :)

(P.S: that western eastern was not to draw any regional lines by the way us though)

• Society as a whole places a smaller value on marriage, it began with the ability to divorce your spouce over "irreconciable differences" now with the divorce rate nearly 50% it makes sense that subsequent generations will nto find it a big deal

• What anon said below about no fault divorce is right on (see his link).

Plus, there are so few women who value traditional relationships and roles anymore that there's little motivation for men to marry these days. There's just nothing in it for men anymore.

• I think it's just that marriage with you is not valued. Women don't like male prudes.

• "No fault" divorce made it much easier, as well as the fact that there's no shame in it anymore. In past times nobody would even dream of it. Now it's just normal. As well, divorce and family courts are biased towards women and against men, which is the reason around 70% of divorces are initiated by women.

Check this out:

link