Why are divorce rates so high? do we not care about marriage anymore?

why are divorce rates so high? do we not care about marriage anymore? are these discouraging figures?

Most Helpful Guy

• For both girls and guys, there are always better ones out there and its no surprise that people want to change partners.

I am 28, never had a GF, and just rejections. All of you who have gotten love in return are luckier than they will ever know.

What Girls Said 9

• I don't think that's a bad thing actually. People are just more comfortable with the idea now and it´s more socially acceptable now, so people divorce more often instead of staying in unwanted marriages, I don't think people were more happily married before, I just think people never got divorced because more women depended on their husbands economically and it wasn't socially acceptable, also "for the kids". I just don't get the idea of staying with someone if things don't work out, just because you're married, so I totally get the divorce rates, it makes a lot of sense to me.

• The divorce rate has been over 50% for 10 -15 years now. I will tell you what I did wrong...got married too fast to men I didn't truly know. Also-people walk away to easily. I don't care if you are gay or straight--the trend will continue. Its part of the demoralization of society.

• You are talking about those young couple aren't you? It because many of them are too rushing into marriage.Some married for the wrong purpose.While some just for lust.So it won't go no where.

• i mean people of all ages. the problem seems to be widespread. there seems to be a lot of divorced people and single mother/fathers out there. kind of sad

• Its kind of true but many people will deny it since some of them watch fairy tale movie too much.

• I do, but most don't. Many care about the wedding, but they don't stop to think about what really happens after.

• We do. But we just don't care to do what it takes to make it work

• They are discouraging stats for me

• I care about marriage but it takes two responsilbe and honest people to make it work.

• I am currently married legally but have not slept with my spouse for 10 years. We rarely talk and moved out of the bedroom thus sleeping in separate rooms. We rarely go out and do anything together and I would say we have never really been very good friends. Also, there has been a lot of verbal abuse that occurred within the first 6 months of the marriage.. things like "I don't see how anyone would ever hire you" "you re crazy" the silent treatment, etc. Also we did not have sex prior to marriage and I found that he had performance issues which he refused to do anything about

He does not think he has any issues.. and currently I rarely stay there.. as I do not want to listen to his verbally abusive mouth

I am filing for divorce as soon as I get the money

I don't think we got to know each other enough

lack of compatibility

emotional and verbal abuse

Control issues

So where in the stats are domestic violence and abuse as a cause of divorce? as well as financial issues as well as I don't think we are taught growing up any "relationship skills" Add to this the media and selfish factor

• People get married because "that's what they are supposed to do." They don't take the time to find someone they are compatible with and just take whoever happens to show up at the time in their life when they think they should be finding their husband/wife. Then, once they are married, they take each other for granted and don't put their partner first. Plus, divorce is no longer such a taboo thing so people are more comfortable taking that route instead of actually fixing their problems.

What Guys Said 6

• Isn't that F'n sad? My parents are going to be celebrating their 55th Anniversary in a couple weeks.

.

My parents have been through Hell and back and they have zigged while the other zagged but they stuck with it TOGETHER ! That's what real love is.

They are the happiest sweetest couple I ever saw.

They have 5 kids which harbor 8 divorces. It is sickening how weak people are today . How a commitment is so easily broken forgotten or how selfish desires throws it all away.

My sister is a perfect example of selfish craziness. I lover her but WOW!

she ended a 18 year marriage because her husband was always at work and when he got home liked to watch TV for the few hours before bed. its not like she wasn't invited lol. well that wasn't good enough so she divorces him.

the next guy was home all the time never worked , NOPE that wasn't flying so he's gone.

She was in financial debt bad now so her 3rd hubbies job just wasn't enough so he made a bold decision to work out of state just for a couple months to help out . the job paid awesome cash and it was short term but a month away she feels neglected because he decided to leave. He went to save her ass and his as a married union.. She divorces him. The dude called me up all confused and if it was a phase nope SHE IS WEAK ! marriage means nothing to some people.

some just want the wedding and the attention but don't want the life...

• 1. People marrying too early. I see people getting engaged/wanting to after 6months to a year, that's ridiculous. I think ya should at least be together for awhile and live together for some time to see if you can even live together.

2. The young crowd definitely doesn't care about the sanctity of marriage and what it used to represent. Divorce USED to be a huge thing, a very very frowned upon and shunned concept. Now its an every day thing, and seen as not a big deal.

3. Yes. I don't even know if its worth it. I have a few female friends on my fb in committed relationships. One got married at like 6 months, and a few months after that made a post on Facebook saying something about maybe babies next year. Another has been with her boyfriend 4-5 months and tagged himin her post of the Nashville proposal on the web.

That's another thing. So much shit is on Facebook these days. Those two situations above being perfect examples. Another is someone complaining on fb but not giving any specifics.

• That's why I'm for gay marriage. I think t strengthens marriage. More love marriages. More people truly in love can get married.

Divorce rates are higher because it's less frowned upon. It's kind of a self fulfilling prophecy. You can say that a lot of people rush into bad marriages now (which is true, don't get me wrong) but previously, maybe couples who wanted divorces couldn't, because of the social implications of it.

• Because of the sexual revolution in the 1960's, people today are more selfish. The feminist movement was funded by the Rockefeller family to destabilize the family. Foolish women thought it was about liberation, when in fact there was a sinister agenda working behind the scenes. The media has been used to brainwash people and reduce their morality to an animalistic state. People no longer have to stick at relationships. They can run to the exist whenever they choose. Again, it all comes down to selfishness and being brainwashed by the media.

• It's all about brainwashing with you isn't it? I wouldn't listen to what this guy has to say, from someone who believes that PAP smears are just a hoax to get into girls' vaginas (seriously, no joke) and that all women have just been "brainwashed" into having them done. Just saying...

• I don't know about all the brainwashing, but I do think you're on the right track regarding selfishness. People today are more self centered, and that's probably why a lot of marriages fail; people think too much about themselves and not about their partner, or the relationship as a whole. And I would agree that the baby boom generation put a lot of that selfishness into motion, although it's up to us how we handle it now.

• I agree, but it's mostly men who are being blamed. Very few people have the courage to blame women for failed marriages. Yes, some men mess up marriages, but I truly believe it's mostly women to blame. Of course I'll be accused of being a misogynist, even though women accuse men all the time. But I believe most failed marriage are the result of selfish women, as well as the brainwashing of the media.

• Yeah people are putting careers and travel in front of their spouse. Also people getting married not for love but for social climbing or lust or thrill of being with a trophy wife or toy boy and when they loose their looks they get dumped and replaced by someone else. Relationships meant a lot more back in the day.

• 0|0