Is sex before marriage considered an actual sin in the christian religion?

As far as I know, it's not in the commandments.

So is sex before marriage a sin?

Do people believe you'll go to hell if you do this? Why?

In my opinion, I feel it's important to have sex before marriage because you could be sexually incompatible with your partner, and if you find that out AFTER marriage, then that could be a bad thing. Bad sex for the rest of your days and/or divorce.

I don't consider myself a christian(not sure if I'm atheist or agnostic), but my mom is. And she's quite neurotic about this subject. And when I ask why she believes in this concept, she doesn't give me much of a (logical) reason.

So what do you think? If you believe in this concept, why do you? Do you believe that the rest of humanity that chooses to be sexually active before marriage are going to hell?

Most Helpful Guy

• Even thinking about having sex out side of marriage is technically a sin. I forget the part of the bible that says that, but it is in there. If you aren't a christian then it doesn't matter if you sin or not. Whether or not something is sinful only applies to people that follow that religion.

Besides most people pick and choose which parts they want to follow anyway. I seriously doubt female Christians actually believe it is their place to serve their husband like the bibles says they are suppose to. People have even started new branches of their religion so they can get a divorce because their religion doesn't believe in it. So they just focus on the parts they like, and ignore the parts they don't.

What is right for one person, may not be right for another. If you believe it is important to have sex before marriage then do it. Personally I am an Atheist, but religion can be a great source of comfort so I understand why people seek it. If you are seeking some type of religious belief then you may even look outside Christianity, and find a better match for your world views in a different religion.

What Guys Said 5

• Actually, it was pretty common in ancient times, so in the Bible no one says premarital sex is bad. Later versions of Christanity have made sex in general a sin, however.

• Yes it is considered a sin. Their views on sex are way different from yours. Sex is a part of "holy matrimony,"

• yes, because the human body is considered a temple of the holy spirit. sex isn't only about pleasure, you're committing for a life time In marriage

• It is a sin.

A common misunderstanding is that the commandments have a strict interpretation. That's not the case. For example, thou shalt not kill? Covers all forms of violence. Beating someone up is still a sin, even if you don't kill him.

Same with the adultery commandment. It covers fornication and sodomy.

• It is, but it's one that most people just choose to ignore.

Eating shellfish is supposed to be an abomination against god, but hey, they do it anyway.

Just saying, just because it's a sin, don't mean it stops people from doing it anyway... over and over and over again.

What Girls Said 6

• God gave us laws to follow, not for his benefits but ours. Could you imagine the drop in people getting a STD or have unplanned abd unwanted pregnancy if more people waited until Marriage or until they were fully commited to each other? With patients and practice anyone can improve their bedroom skills.

• It says several times in the Bible that you are to not have sex before marriage. Here is a link to verses that say such.

link

I do believe that the Bible says that sin cannot enter heaven. So no one engaging in sinful behavior could enter under that pretext right. I also believe when it says that sin is sin regardless. Lieing is the same as murder in God's eyes. There is no differentiation.

• It is in the bible clearly stated fornication is a sin but many people disregard it

• Yes it is a sin because you could get pregnant out of wedlock or whatever. The bible, what crap.

• It's same as fornication so yes.

• I don't believe it's actually written out that it's forbidden (correct me if I'm wrong) but I do know the bible preaches pretty heavily on being pure for your spouse and to hold the marriage to be pure and holy and being "unclean" before marriage is essentially disrespecting the sanctity of marriage and is frowned upon heavily in the Christian faith.