He doesn't give me a straight answer...why?

I've been with my boyfriend for 2 years.

We're very serious.

Only here's the thing. He makes jokes about marriage. Nothing that deters me from wanting to marry him or anything. He just casually says stuff like, "We should get married." or "Let's get married."

He knows my ring preferences and everything. But when he jokes about marriage I asked him when he saw that happening and he always gives some bullshit answer like, "Well how does Tuesday work for you?" Or "How about this afternoon?"

I always respond with, "No, for real. When do you think?" And he always comes back with a response similar to "Eventually."

I would just really like a straight answer one of these days. I don't want a proposal or anything right now, of course. I just want a timeline. A serious timeline. Like, one year, 2 years, 3? 4? I just want to know. Is that weird?

So...why is he not giving me an answer. Just a guestimation would be nice.

We're 20, so I know we're young and we'e not old enough for marriage but you would think, since he talks about our wedding day and married life and all that, that he has some timeline to work on and I'd just like to be on the same page.

Is it weird that he doesn't give straight answers? Or is it normal?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think him being able to joke about it is refreshing. At least he is able to talk about it. I had a boyfriend who had no problem talking about other people's relationships and marriages, yet when it came to us, he would completely shoot that thought down right away.

Sounds to me like he really does love you, and sees this for you two in the future. Probably just not time for that yet, as you two are so young.

I don't think that you should worry about a timeline just yet. Yes you two have been together for 2 years, but you are only 20! Don't force this issue on him or he will leave. Trust me on this one. Forcing an issue like this when a guy isn't ready is not going to help your relationship. I know it's hard when you see other girls getting the ring so easily. But try to have patience. Your day will come eventually.

And better it to come when you are both ready and when the timing is right, than to force it and then end up getting divoced.

What Guys Said 1

• I think he's given you his best answer already. He doesn't know exactly when but he is thinking about it and seems to see that in your future together. I've known couples that had been together for 7 to 10 years before finally getting married. So you're 20, you are young, try not to let it stress you out too much. Here's the thing about guys, when we know, we know, but we don't know until we know, you know?

What Girls Said 0