Which gender benefits more in a relationship and/or marriage?

If this world was perfect , then I would say that both men and women equally benefit , but that's far from the truth. The reality is that someone's going to benefit more in a relationship and/or marriage and that's life. Now most people will say both benefit because they want to be politically correct at all costs, even if it means LYING.

• Men benefit more
  • Women benefit more
  • In my own politically correct BS bubble , I'll say both equally benefit (yeah right)
I guess I angered some females with this question lol!
What is with all of this whining and moaning from females on here? I just asked a fucking question!

Most Helpful Guy

• It really depends on the man and the woman and the circumstances. That said, men and women bring different things to the table in a marriage.

Men generally bring financial security, protection and utility (building and fixing things, yard work, etc.).

Women usually offer a lesser degree of financial contribution but they bring love and support, a nurturing environment for husband and kids and less tangible things like the ability to make a house a home in a way most men just can't do.

Within the above parameters I don't think either man or woman typically gets more or less from a marriage - they just get different things in varying degrees but it all equals out in a beautiful way.

Today though, fewer women bring all the above to the table to the extent they used to. With the blurring of gender roles and men doing more and more of what women have traditionally done, women often bring much less, relatively speaking, to the marital equation. As a result, more and more men are choosing to forgo marriage because the return does not measure up to the investment. Women do not offer to men what they used to, at least not to the extent they once did. I don’t mean to suggest that’s a good or bad thing…it is what it is.

What Girls Said 21

• Please don't be a bitter ass.

It all boils down to the couple and the individuals involved, not what sex they are. Just like many men are being drained in all senses by their ingrate wives, several women are sustaining alcoholic freeloaders with their hard work..

In the end, you choose who to marry - if you decide to even get married at all. Several couples get married just a few months after meeting for the first time, and they often end up bad. She wasn't what you expected? Well tough shit, maybe you should've gotten to know her beforehand. You knew her well? Then you knew what you were getting into... or at least, things can be worked out if something changed. Yeah, the world isn't perfect at all, but in an ideal case both parties benefit from it. Otherwise, marriage wouldn't be a common practice all over the world, would it? If it wasn't convenient for men at all, they wouldn't get married, would they? In most cases nobody forces them to do it. And if it really, really doesn't work, they can divorce...it's sad, but it's an option if it really comes to it.

Last but not least... at least based from what I've heard from male relatives and friends, it's not only about the money/food/sex/home and that stuff. When they reach a certain point in their lives, I hear that men want to settle down with the woman they love, spend together their days, have kids, etc... it doesn't have to apply to all men of course, though. I do hear that they feel good settling down, having a woman who lean on to get love, support and nurture their soul. Men seem to like, or maybe even feel the need to protect the ones they love, and a family is that in essence. Men will surely describe that better than I do, provided I'm not one of you.

PS. Sorry if I was rude. I'm getting tired about these "x have it worse than y" rant questions in here.

• ROTFLMFAO!

• I agree with these.. but you did put it a bit rudely

• Yeah, sorry about that. I don't usually do rude talk, but I think the question's wording annoyed me. Still, no excuse to get down on that level!

• Although life isn't fair or just, two people can agree to try everything they can to give and take equally. Relationships are about communication, honesty, love and putting in their best effort. It is up to both people to be the best they can be for themselves and their partner while also being a person that their partner would want to keep a happy, healthy marriage with. If one person is benefiting more than the other, it is time for communication. People like to resort to throwing away good things if they are broken or damaged. If you can not learn how to make yourself happy and willing to make your partner just as happy if not happier, then you are not ready for a relationship or marriage. Relationships are not for you, they are for both people. There is no room in a healthy marriage for being selfish or dishonest or unfaithful. I don't know what relationships you have been in, but a healthy relationship should be 50/50.

• In my case the man benefits more. I leave my family to move where his live. I bear his children and ruin my body and grow through insane amounts of pain and emotional rollercoasters to do so, then they have his last name. Married men receive higher performance ratings and faster promotions than bachelors, a 2005 study of U.S. Navy officers reported. In 2006, British researchers reviewed the sexual habits of men in 38 countries and found that in every country, married men have more sex

Yes he makes more money than me, but I could support myself just fine without him.

That's pretty much the only upside for me. Even more money. It used to be that the woman needed the man for financial security, but now that women are able to get better jobs we can support ourselves.

We share all the chores. We have sex whenever one of us wants.

And for people saying "Well she gets all my money in the divorce." Why the hell are you going into a marriage thinking your going to get divorced. That is what is wrong with your idea of marriage to begin with. And also, not all women take your money. My mom took nothing from my dad.

• You know that there isn't magic in being married that make married men earn more and get promoted faster? It's the fact that bachelors have a ton less stress, can just enjoy life more. Married men *have* to work harder, haha.

• The body thing depends on your genetics. Mine will be fine, my mother is in great shape. I was pointing on the points in MY relationship, so you can't exactly tell me I am wrong since you are not in my relationship. I gave my opinion without being rude too, you obviously seem super bitter, Andy. Good luck to you.

• Really, ilisamay. Why am I a loser? Because you lack the intelligence required to make a rebuttal? Because I'm right?

• Evilpimp, it's not just some of the women on here whining, read the whining on the men's side as well as what one of them commented on mine when I was not whining or being rude at all. I do think that it depends on the couple- everyone is different. Some the women make more money and some the men make more money. My mother was the bread winner, as are most of her friends. It just depends on the couple, and in my situation my boyfriend definitely is benefiting more than myself. Everyone needs to calm down though. Really, it is just a question- why are you all getting angry and being rude to eachother?

• I'm talking about the answers refering directly to me not the answers in general. I've been accused of ranting, etc. which I'm not doing. I just asked aquestion that's all.

• Well, I think it's a very reasonable question. Don't take it to heart. A lot of people take things too personally. You didn't even state anything negative about either gender. You're fine :)

• Girls! We bring the emotions in the relationship. If it was up to men things would be tough and badass all the time

• emotions that pave the way for stress and corruption in the relationship, huh?

• depends on the people in the relationship. not which sex they are.

most pople in relationships seem to not think they benefit much at all.

• I'd love to say both do and maybe in rare cases it is and it's clear but I do think women do. Women plan more for the wedding, they make it about 'THEM' afterward women want to be loved, want a perfect husband and want the great married life. Even though a lot of people are getting divorced, marriage is being less common and isn't lasting as long as it should or could.

• A women benefits financially in MOST cases (not all), while a man benefits cause he is being taken care of, cooked for, laundry, house taken care of etc. So they both do benefit--just depends on the people and situation who benefits more.

• I think in a healthy marriage or relationship both benefit equally, or else I would't consider the relationship to be fully functional.

• If this was a perfect world, both would benefit cos your be working together in everything you do. Cos this world isn't perfect no one benefits in a relationship unless you also work together its a give and take situation. Good communication is the key for both to benefit. I think the to be in a good relationship you both need to benefit if you don't you have no relationship

oh well that's my opinion.

• Come on now one has to benefit more, even if its a little bit . Explain why one may benefit more than the other.

• It depends. I had two relationship he was a giver and I benefited but wasn't happy. Next relationship he benefit and I got nothing but heartache. Depends on the people not their sex. Communication is the key if you don't have that no one benefits

• Both as long as yall love each other

• hmm.. imig

• It really just depends. Nothing is as equal as it seems.

• I'd say it depends on the individual. Some women benefit in a marriage, some men in another.

• Both. People can married because it's mutually beneficial

• I voted C lol but I'm not really sure? I think it depends on the individual, not necessarily the gender. Especially today...it's a case-by-case basis.

• Both do.

Women usually benefit more financially, but men benefit in many other ways. Those include: having the house cleaned, having food cooked for them, having their children taken care of, laundry washed, etc

• Is this why some people oppose gay marriage? Because then they can't pick a gender to attack?

Which gender "benefits more"? How can you possibly generalize such a thing? I'd say it depends much more on the individuals, regardless of gender. Marriage isn't supposed to be about "benefitting" off of the person you're getting married to. If you feel that way then I'm sorry. Obviously if you go into marriage with such a negative and caustic view of it then your marriage is not going to be a very successful one.

• Its reality. Someone is going to benefit more even if its a little bit. That's life.

• Women. That's just life. I don't care about your little rant though because women are still able to get married.

• Oh and believe me, women just want the kids. I don't know any women that truly want a husband.

• Look the argument you and AndyWes are having is your business, But You poke fun at women, blacks, anyone. Follow your leader, hitler and shoot yourself in the head. The world would be A LOT happier. That was way out of line. Did you think before you said this? Your accusing him of being hateful but yet tell him he should worship Hitler and shoot himself in the head? How is that any better than what he said?

• Swizzz cheese, gogo dancer, now white chocolate eh?

• I sense a lot anger and bitterness from this question and you probably only want answers you agree with but I'll still answer.

I think it depends on the couple, but based on my own opinion and observations of most relationships I have seen it seems that the female benefits more.

Having a hot girlfriend and spoiling her like a princess and being her cash cow may be worth it for the benefit of being able to have sex with her to some guys and for others not so much. For some girls being verbally or physically abused or being at a guy's beck and call may be worth the benefit of being in a relationship. You really can't measure who benefits more, because its opinion, and based on the values of the individual, what they are willing to accept, etc.

In most relationships, maybe not "equally" or in the same ways, but both benefit.

• LOL What's wrong with a debate?

• Why would it hit home for me?

I'm not bothered by the question. I'm simply pointing out your closed mindedness and your inability to accept the fact that In most relationships both genders benefit even in the west where I'm sure you're from. Not being able to entertain ideas you don't agree with and automatically writing them off as BS is counter inquisitive. Which is why I know this isn't a real question, you are only seeking affirmation.

• Still things aren't even. This world isn't perfect and never will be.

• if a man or woman feels they are not benifitting from the relationship then that is their fault, no one forced them to be with that person.

What Guys Said 13

• Women without a doubt. Whoever earns less benefits more from the higher earning person. So technically a man can benefit but... If you look at it from a financial standpoint women avoid lower earning men like the plague and make up excuses about how incompatible they are, especially if they want to have children. Not as many couples involve the woman making more money.

While I know relationships are obviously not just about money, but without money, so much cannot happen.

• From an economic point of view, definitely women. Only reason being, majority of women date older guys and men date younger women. Since the guy is older he's usually further in his career than the woman he's with. However, if they're the same age it's completely dependent on the couple.

• Not me. I'm dating a younger guy who's further in his career than me.

• LOL I was going to say, the tide is turning on that younger women/older man thing. Older women are now being pursued by younger men. Trust me, I know !

• There's a bit of a difference between young women swooning for older men, and younger men wanting to hookup with older women when they can't get girls their own age.

• Oh, women benefit a ton more, particularly in marriage. They need someone to provide/protect for them if they want to have kids. Hell, they want someone to provide/protect for them anyways, whether it's sugar daddy government or a man.

Don't get me wrong, a man gets sex, a companion, and kids if he wants them from a woman. But that's it. And most men aren't pining to have kids, they just want a hot body with them, haha.

And laundry, cooking, cleaning, you say?

Laundry is the easiest chore ever. Cooking, there's a ton of dishes that are simple and delicious. Cleaning--if you've got a big enough place that cleaning takes more than maybe an hour or two a week, you really shouldn't be complaining.

• I know plenty of widowed and single mothers that don't have anyone but themselves to "PROVIDE AND PROTECT" them.

And your last argument only really works if the woman does not also have a job.

• Isn't it interesting that this explosion of single mothers only happened after things like welfare programs, child support laws, etc? Somehow, before that, the vast majority of kids were born in wedlock. But now women feel like big daddy government is there to watch out for them, so they don't need to wait until they're married to have kids.

• marriage is for women always has been and always will be.

• Why should "benefit" have anything to do with it at all?

• women! duh!

wth do we men benefit from relationships/marriage besides stress, drama, frustration and oppression/repression?

relationships/marriage are nothing but TRAPS for us men

• hey man, don't listen to all these ignorant broads here attacking you for asking this question...

they are just playing with your ego. but don't listen to them, they aren't worth your time and they are just trying to play with your emotions to make you feel like the loser here

• Ask yourself who wants a relationship more and you'll likely find the answer to your question...

• I think both for being able to find someone they feel they can spend the rest of their lives with.

• It depends on the people in the relationship.

• Women they control what happens in the bedroom. Guys were only put on Earth to work and pay child support and pay half their earnings to their ex's because the courts and judges favor women. A woman can marry a man, have a couple kids and divorce him three years later and receive half or all his money. Guys who try this are labeled lazy.

• Whichever doesn't sit around and think about if they aren't benefitting from the marriage is the one that benefits more.

• From what I've seen the women almost always benefits more

• Women do. The reason is pretty obvious. Women marry up, men marry down. The real reason why married men live longer than married women is because weak women are marrying strong healthy men. Strong women, and weak men generally don't get married, and if they do they don't stay married.

• Actually women outlive men by a Huge number, almost always. It's rare when a man outlives a women. (I was in healthcare for 23 plus years!) this is a very factual statement.

• And divorced men lose the benefit and die sooner than married men. Is it "stronger" or is it related to a drive, how you have people, and you have people counting on you? Like how people with pets live longer, or they have less heart disease, or both. Something like that.

• There certainly are other factors such as depression, and divorce can be devastating to a guy. Generally speaking however once a woman starts seeing her husband as weak, she loses respect for him, and soon the marriage is over.