If you support gay marriage do you also support incest marriage?

I have read a couple of websites that are for marriage equality for all consenting adults. I was just curious how many people think like this. If you support gay marriage do you also support marriage between siblings or parent and child?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't really care what adults do, or if they are related or not. As long as they don't give birth to a mutated baby. I think that is one big concern about incest. Although the dangers are somewhat exaggerated. It typically takes a couple of generations of incest to be as bad as people seem to think it is. A forty year old woman is as likely to have a sick baby, as a 20 year old woman that is having her cousins child. Yet we don't discriminate against older women having kids the way we do people that commit incest.

Parent and child is different than other types of incest. One has had power over the other for so long. There would be no way to know if they had been brainwashed from birth to be a sex slave or not. So the issue there is somewhat different.

Over all though, I think it would be hypocritical to say two cousins can't get married when everyone else can. Especially if the two can't have kids anyway. What if it were gay cousins? No argument could be made involving them having children. And if it is okay for gay cousins, it would be discrimination not to let straight cousins marry.

Unfortunately the government likes to tell everyone else how to live their life.

What Guys Said 10

• what is the relation between these two grossly divergent issues?

I do support gay marriage in that I don't see why our government should feel a need ban it.

Incest is an entirely different issue and you should read up on the dangerous perils of inbreeding and the mental and physical disabilities that their spawn can have. two lesbians, or gay men do not produce offspring with the high chance of disability a incestuous relationship can produce

• I have some concerns with both it, and with polygamy ...

But I think it odd to ban a type of marriage when the sex is legal.

If an adult brother and sister can have sex and have a family and live togther - and I think they CAN, legally ... then I don't see any advantage to preventing them from marrying. (Similarly, though polygamy is illegal, I'm pretty sure having three girlfriends and a family with each and having shared assets with each of the three is ... legal. But only one would get alimony/etc if things ended ... does that actually make sense?

A major issue is that I suspect (but don't know) that the majority of relationships involving incest start as statutory rape on an ongoing basis. Probably jail time, separation, and therapy is called for first.

• Well, I think the issue is that legalizing incestuous marriage would be a step towards normalizing incest, which is not actually a good thing. Inbreeding is not a good thing, and is likely to become more normal if incestuous marriage is allowed.

• Gay marriage, yeah I don't mind. Incest... call me weird (or whatever, I don't care) but I don't care much but to say OK on the Incest. I say because its happened before in the past somewhere around the world. I can't really change free will so I say "go ahead"

• Nothing fundamentally wrong with incest if the two people involved use protection and love each other. I wouldn't recommend it, but people's freedoms are more important.

• This is the problem with tolerance of sexual promiscuity. Once a society tolerates a deviance, the flood gates are opened and all things become okay. And, yes society will eventually accept incest as a norm and orientation. The same arguments that were used for one will be regurgitated for the next. I hope you are ready for this comfortable ride to hell. It feels great, but it's that sudden stop at the end that is a real pain.

• That would be the slippery slope argument, which is a logical fallacy.

• those are totally separate things. and do I do not support incest marriage.

• Wow what a question. How dare you challenge intelligence. I can see the hypocrites lining up to give their opinions already!

• Sure, why not. As fucked up as the world is today, what's a few more deformed babies going to change. Accept for the kids themselves who will have to live with no hair, no sweat glands, skin that looks like an orange peel & flat noses. I've personally seen an incest family. Nice people but not a pretty site.

• Actually, yes I do. And no I'm not trolling. There are no victims in consensual incest. Therefore it should be legal.

Some people say incest should be illegal because of the risk of genetic illness in offspring, but then shouldn't non-incestuous couples with a high likelihood of passing on serious illness also be banned from having children? And even if that should be the case, that doesn't explain why gay incest should be illegal.

• I assume when you speak of offspring you mean, a child...who will have feelings and a life to live. Do you think a child will have a normal life when they find out their parents are brother and sister or closely related? Imagine the bullying, and the deep psychological effect it will have on the child. I cannot understand incest and how people can go through with it but I suppose it is their choice, but bringing a child into the mix is just not right.

• i get what you are saying about those with disabilities breeding with others with disabilities and that is an issue that may need to be addressed BUT it is no reason to say incestuous relationships should be ok

• The couples with a likelihood of genetic illness also shouldn't make children, but it's just too difficult to regulate, and it's punishing people for something they cannot control. And gay incest should be illegal because if gay incest is allowed, people will soon ask for rights to heterosexual incest as well. Which does sound like the slippery slope fallacy, I know, but in this case it is actually a reasonable assumption, in my opinion.

• Gay is an orientation.

Incest is an act.

Only a prize winning moron can't tell the difference between the two.

• Don't know why you got downvoted.

• He got downvoted because this is some fucking retarded logic here. If heterosexuality and homosexuality are orientations, then logically incest-sexuality also has to be an orientation. You can have an inclination towards animals similarly to having an inclination for women, or for men. The reason this is dumb is because he's just using pointless semantical differences to distinguish things that aren't inherently that different on a fundamental level, for no reason.

• Please don't use the word logically when you don't have a fucking clue what it means.

"Incest sexuality" isn't a thing. Incest is an act. Enjoying it is a fetish.

What Girls Said 6

• I support gay marriage, but not incest. With incest, there is an actual scientific reason why it is bad, and that's because incest can cause inbreeding. And yeah, there has been evidence that homosexuality and such is actually caused by a genetic trait, whereas I have seen no evidence that incest is. Not allowing gay couples to marry is punishing them for something they have no control over, whereas not allowing incestuous marriage is simply protecting from inbreeding, and not legalizing a potentially dangerous thing.

• Apart from what many seem to think being gay is not something you choose to do, fucking your brother or sister is

• Oh my god no !! Incest marriage is terrible because they will have deformed or mentally challenged children. Incestuous people are sick in the head , the majority of gay people I know are not

• incest is taboo because it affects our future children-it's about DNA and the health of children. even if the brother and sister said ''nah,we won't have kids,we promise'' there's still the huge ass risk of them ''accidentally'' getting knocked up. normalizing incest would lead to inbreeding. and,it's not an orientation,homosexuality is.

• Even if we accept that logic to keep incest between a fertile, heterosexual couple illegal, that doesn't explain why incest between a gay couple or incest between an infertile, heterosexual couple should be illegal. It does, however, suggest that a non-incestuous couple with a high risk of passing on a serious medical condition should also be banned from having sex. By your logic, why should for example a non-incestuous, straight, fertile couple with HIV/AIDS also not be banned from having sex?

• And who's to say it's not a orientation? I'm sure there are some people out there who can get sexual satisfaction ONLY from incestuous experiences. And how does something's status or non-status as an orientation make it better or worse anyway?

Consensual incest has no victims. Someone is not a victim simply because he or she is offended or disturbed by something. That's why consensual homosexuality is legal.

• i said that normalizing incest would lead to inbreeding. if we were to let brothers marry,the hetero ones would ask for the same,under agreement that they don't have children-like I said,accidents happen,and forcing them to abort would be immoral since it's her body.

• I support marriage for any consenting adults that wish to get married.

• I absolutely support gay marriage.

There's a big difference between that and two siblings fucking.

The former is just a different orientation…the latter is a sign of serious psychological issues.