When is the average age to get married nowadays?

I'm not saying that I'm considering getting married soon or anything but I'm also curious as to when most people get married. I'm thinking right around graduating college or grad school. Are you conservative enough to get married because you feel it's time to settle down or is there a baby in the picture? Share your thoughts.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, the problem about the word "average" is that you have to take into account all those shotgun weddings and straight out of high school weddings along with all of the people that waited.

I live in the bible belt and in my area you have 4 kids of people.
    A) Those that want to wait until marriage to have sex.. and get married immediately after high school (that's not "waiting until marriage" that's rushing into marriage!)
    Usually married between ages of 18-20
    B) Those that have sex before marriage, get pregnant because they didn't have adequate sex-ed and didn't know how to protect themselves/chose not to since they don't believe in that here in the bible belt, and ended up with a shotgun wedding.
    Usually married between ages of 16-19
    C) Those that have sex before marriage, use protection, and wait until they're in a stable part of their lives and careers to settle down and get married.
    Usually 26+
    D) Those that don't have sex before marriage and wait until they feel they're ready to get married
    Usually 24+

So, to answer your question the "average" age is somewhere around 22, but not too many 22 year olds get married around here, but you know mathematically speaking the two groups would make it seem like they did

What Guys Said 4

• It's been awhile since I saw stats, but I'd guess for girls it is 26 and guys is 29.

• Well it depends on who he's deeply In love with and how old they are

• As a relatively new member I'm apparently unable to post a link, but if you Google 'Age at first marriage' it will bring up a Wikipedia page with statistics that should answer your question about average ages.

For me, I doubt I will get married. I'm not completely opposed to the idea but I find marriage for men today is a losing proposition. If I found the rare good woman with her head screwed on straight who didn't view men and gender issues the way most women in the US do today I might be open to reconsidering. As of now I don't hold much hope for that.

A baby in the picture? Not a chance. Men get screwed over hard by women and the US courts where anything related to parental or reproductive rights is concerned. The only reason I haven't already had a vasectomy done is because I still hold that tiniest sliver of hope that I might find that one woman in a gazillion who I would be willing to marry, but as I said there's really not much hope for that.

Best

• there is no average age, and having a baby has nothing to do with it, it all depends on if you want to be with the person for the rest of your life and not with anyone else

What Girls Said 4

• I'd say 30+ economically people can't afford to get married young anymore. Some are waiting until they are 40 to marry.

• I read somewhere that its 27 for both genders which surprised me. I thought it would be 30.

• average where I live is prob 22 to 26.

• Id say 30 sometimes as young as 25