What do you think about women popping the big question in a heterosexual couple?

Just curious. We're living in a very progressive society these days and I was just wondering how everyone felt about women proposing to men. I've been asked out on dates by girls and there's been no problem. I've had a girl pay for a date no problem (not going to lie I was really reluctant). Just wanted to know people opinions on women proposing marriage in heterosexual couples.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've heard of this happening, and it's weird to me. It's fine to ask guys out and pay for dates, or ask them to be our boyfriends and all that, but we shouldn't take all the relationship milestones away from the guys. In my opinion, some traditions should remain intact and that includes the proposal. I think most guys would be uncomfortable with their girlfriends proposing to them.

Also, I think the guy should buy the ring too. The woman can give ideas about what she likes but he should make the final choice on the style and then buy it outright, spending as much or as little as he wants on it. Some women buy their own rings and then give it to the guy so he can propose, and I don't see the romance in that. My fiance proposed to me with a ring that he chose himself and bought with his own money, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

What Girls Said 2

• I think there's nothing wrong with a woman asking a man to marry her! I'm not sure I'd want to do it, I've always imagined being proposed to... I guess I've been too affected societal norms :P But I don't think there's anything wrong with it, to each their own!

• I think that's the guys job but I'm kind of old fashioned when it comes to that stuff

What Guys Said 8

• Hmmm. I've never really thought about it until now but it's a very interesting question. Just thinking about it briefly I would say that I'd be distinctly uncomfortable with it, especially in a public setting. It just seems emasculating to me. I would also feel disappointed because as the guy I was "supposed" to do it and would think that maybe I missed the boat somewhere along the way. I would also feel like I missed out on a (hopefully) once in a lifetime experience that every guy should go through. Kind of like a gut-check for life.

Y'all can have child birth. Leave us the proposal =P

• I think if the man is more attentive, he will be the one to propose. It might, or might not say a lot if the woman does, and indicate future issues in the relationship. If a girl insists on paying for dinner, it's probably likely I won't be seeing her again. I am not willing to be dominated by a woman, except, perhaps, in bed.

• No it wasn't like that. We'd been on several dates and I always paid for both of us or we split it. She joked about paying and we argued a little then she secretly did it when I wasn't paying attention.

• Everyone's different my friend. I'm sorry you had to go through that experience but I'm not a fan of pessimism. Thanks though :)

• Agreed. I wish you the best!

• I wouldn't like it, to be honest. That said, if it works for other hetero couples then more power to 'em.

• I feel uncomfortable with that. I wouldn't like that at all. To each their own though.

• I'd be suspicious of her attentions...

• I see nothing wrong with a girl asking a guy out.

• Nothing wrong with it, but many guys (and even more women) will not be comfortable with the idea.

• I'm against it for my own relationships, but then again I'm against marriage altogether. I don't know how I would feel if I was pro-marriage.

I don't mind a woman paying her half of a date. In fact, if after three dates or so, she hasn't offered to pay for even half of one date, I would consider that a red flag.