Is 22 too soon to get married?

Hi, I have this friend, who's getting married. Last week she started whining about how everybody is telling her that she is too young and it is too soon to get married. We're going to be in college for another 3 years. We are in our early 20s.
I was just wondering. How long should you wait to get married? Especially if your still in college?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends on the couple, and factoring in things like how long they have been together. I'm getting married in December and I will be 24. Nobody has really said anything to me about being young or anything, and I don't really are anyways because it's just their opinion.

But so many people seem to be in a rush to get married or slap some kind of important label on their relationship today, and I think that's where a lot of the judgment stems from.

I think it's important for a couple to be self sufficient before getting married. You should be able to support yourselves financially without outside help. And there are all important conversations to be had before thing the knot, like wanting children and where you want to live.

Peoe can get married whenever they want, at whatever age. It's not exactly my place to judge someone else's relationship like that.

What Guys Said 8

• It totally depends on the two involved. I would say for MOST people, that would be too young. However, I know several people that got married the summer after the graduated high school and they are still married and happy today. On the contrary, I've known people that were married in their mid-30s and were divorced a couple years-or less-later. I think it is good to wait at least 1 year to get married to a person but again, this depends on the two involved. I usually say I would wait between 1 and 2 years to date a person before getting married.

• I was 23. There are good and bad things about marrying young. Overall I wish I'd gotten more experience before marrying, more then i wish i'd waited longer.

• OOOOhhh, so it's a good thing that i'm waiting until i'm 35 to marry right?

• I was 23 as well when I got married lol. Still married to this day as well. This year will be year 11 for us

• I was married at 25, my (then) wife was 22. we were together 25 years with 20 married. so no, it is not too soon. As long as you are with the right person.

• i think after college to be honest, u should just remain as fiance or gf/bf until then... because marriage srsly distracts you, but hey, who cares right? patience is a virtue

• If you wait till 35 but have no dating experience till then, you would have been better off marrying at 17.

• piiissshhhhaaa bro, let's see how the other side does things, my parents and grandparents are like 12 years apart

• i should also mention that my dad never dated women (yes, he was a loser) but hey, he's still happy and playing video games.

• I don't see why you shouldn't if you are deeply in love and are pretty darn sure that you never want to be with anyone else

• yea. Everyone i knew growing up who got married young are. . . divorced. You simply just dont know much about life at 22, not matter how much your ego tries to tell you, your only 22. Just 3 years ago your friend was just 19, she still very young.

• That is too soon. Wait another 3 years until you know the man very well.

• Yes, it's too young. But hey, if she wants to have a divorce under her belt by the time she's 28, let her.

What Girls Said 4

• I'm 22 and there's absolutely no way I'm anywhere near even being able to think about getting married.
    But for some pople, I think it would work.ci think it depends on the individuals and their relationship.
    I mean, my mum got married when she was 23 and 26 years later her and my dad are still going strong. So a young marriage can work. It's a very individual thing. And if she and her partner feel ready, and it's what they want, then more power to them.

• It honestly depends on the couple, like where they are in life and maturity. My best friend and her husband got married at 22 this past July and are expecting their first child in October. They got engaged our senior year of college. My sister is 23 and she got engaged this past January. Her and her fiancé are waiting until after she graduates grad school to get married. Both couples tell me that you know when you have met the right person for you.

Now, there is no way I would be married anytime soon. Outside of being single and not meeting my "Mr. Right", I am just not financially able to, have other goals I want to achieve and I am not emotionally ready or mature enough yet to take on that commitment.

• I got married at 23. Back then I didn't think it was too young but now that I am older I think damn I was young when I got married lol. I partied and was very carefree and got my gypsy tendencies out of the way first though before I tied the knot so I felt I was ready to be married. We got married after only being together a year

• I'm 23 and I have no desire to get married at this point of my life. That doesn't mean that it's wrong for everyone.