Guys: What would you prefer, a well educated career oriented woman or a house wife?

Just want to see what people say. What type of woman do you want to marry/be with? Someone with no education above high school who stays home and cooks, cleans, etc. while you pay the bills. Or a woman with a college/university degree?

Most Helpful Guy

• Is the question about education, or about stay-home? Because those 2 options can co-exist together.

With regards to education, I'd like a girl who is able to think independently, argue convincingly, and has a broad perspective of the world. If she has a college degree I think she'd meet all the criteria. But a degree is not a must either, as long as she has the traits I mentioned.

With regards to work or stay-home wife, my ideal is a family where me and my wife would only need to work as much as we needed to, while maintaining a healthy work-life balance and a comfortable lifestyle.

If my salary alone is able to meet the lifestyle needs of my household, so be it! My wife can then cherry-pick the kind of work she wants to do, either odd working days, work-from-home, or be a house-wife.

If we are working towards an ideal that needs a higher earning power, like having more kids, getting a nanny to take care of the kids, having overseas holiday trips, or buying a bigger house in an ideal location, well, we'd have to work for it (literally).

What Guys Said 24

• I need a woman for a wife with who I have great chemistry & we are compatible or at least work towards it with some amount of success.

Whether she wants a career or wants to stay at home is her choice. I'll stand by and support her whichever way (I have always).

For cooking cleaning etc there are maids & chefs. My idea of marriage was never that a woman should cook & clean. I'd rather she spend some time taking care of herself and progressing in life in some way or she can go on party & socialize as long as she is responsible enough.

• Why can't you have a hybrid between the two? That's what men are expected to be these days so why not women?

A woman who has a good job is great, can't we share the household chores and bills?

• This is absolutely ideal. But there are still a number of men who want their wives/girlfriends to stay home all day and not work.

• They might have been raised with very traditional values.

There are advantages to one spouse staying home and not working, for one all the errands get done and it leaves more time for the couple to be together.

• Career women are most fulfilled & exciting, sexy
    Housewives have the damn toughest job in the whole world, under paid, unappreciated (w/o nude martini sex service) and generally worn out, poor dears. Have served as Mr. Mom and Mr. Provider and plenty of clients wearing one or both hats.

• I disagree. Career oriented women are the most empty, lonely people in the world. They sold their souls to the corporate world, hoping to get a leg up on life, only to discover how empty it truly is. This is not always the case. But I speak from firsthand experience. Women who choose to stay at home, forsaking a "Career" in pursuit of rearing their children, and making their husbands happy, find the most fulfillment- not a woman who goes to work every day and pushes paper, or what have you. As I said, this is not always true. Women can try and be men, and run from life's responsibilities all they want. But you can only run from reality for so long before it catches up with you, and leaves you a shell of the person you hoped to be.

• I disagree tundrawolf. I am a career woman and I have two great kids. I work 40 hours a week in a very demanding FULLFILLING CAREER, coach at the local high school, coach for a local little league cheer, help out with both my kids travel baseball teams (fund raisers etc) My house is spotless, my family has a home cooked meal every night and my husband is VERY WELL TAKEN CARE OFF. Its called proper time managment. Either you have it or you don't. I am the farthest thing from an empty shell, I stand tall and keep my head high. I got it all...DON'T HATE!

• Thanks Dannie, true all that + my married life is Hedonism+ compared to dating; can't say we put top priority on house cleaning (a shared duty) but the rest is top drawer, kids excelled. I'm sure ttwolf does have some memories not as great, thus the comment.

• I'd prefer a family orientated woman, main reason being I don't want someone else bringing up our kids. My gf works as a nanny along with her Mum, and the kids they look after seem to have a much stronger bond with her than their own parents. Two of them even said that they hate their parents and wish that my gf was their Mum. She had to tell one of them off because she kept calling her "Mummy". It's sad, and I never want the same for my kids.

• Personally I prefer a house wife not becuase I'm sexiest or anything but becuase a mother is very important in a Childs development and a important part of the household if she is working all the time she can't fulfill her role of a mother and wife properly. If we needed to meet ends meet then I'd have no problem with her working I also have no problem with contributing and sharing the work with my wife.

• My wife is a stay at home mother.

I'm fine with either, as long as she contributes and works hard as I do and appreciates what I do as well. I'd also like her to be -happy- with her decision.

• Many families function well with 2 working parents.

I dnt need a girl who is completely dependent on me. She should be able to be her own person and have her own goals.

• My spouse has always been and is a housewife and as long as circumstances permit, God willing, she will stay that way...till kids are in college.

The mother's place is at home to bring up good, cultured and family-oriented kids.

Of course that is where the clash of culture comes in. I can speak more on that if you want.

• I don't care if she is educated with masters or just high school I prefer a stay at home wife she'll have move time for the relationship. I flip side of that is in today's economy you may need both of you working to pay the bills depending on your type of lifestyle

• I don't think I really care. I'm not considering them contributing financially tbh. I'm planning on doing that myself while retiring young. Ideally they will do what they want if I ever do marry.

• Career oriented. College educated is preferable, but Bill Gates was a dropout, so you can't really be too hung up on that.

• Educated and has a career BUT not a workaholic who has no time or focuses more on her career than what really matters in life.

• Education is never a criteria and its a wrong barometer to consider human being.. the Point is about temperament of girl and i think such a trait should be cultivated and university degree never can make any difference..

• Marry? No thanks. But I'd take smart over dumb any day.

• House wife, well educated.

• is there a best of both worlds?

• There could be. What do you have in mind?

• someone who can cook and clean, but also who can have world knowledge and can have and educated conversation with you

• college educated wife but i want a large family too

• I will only go for a well educated housewife. But, she can work too if she wants to. She can work with me. But, if she wants to work alone somewhere away from me. I won't tolerate that. Shows how much she cares about me in the first place.

• Why would it bother you for your wife to work elsewhere?

• Just kiddin' girl... Don't believe every single person on the internet. :)

• i want career but only part time... i mean someone needs to clean the house -.-

• Degree. I value ambition.

• I would like a career woman...

• Both, hey you demanded equality - educated career woman that does housework. Men are expected to do these things, we also expect it of you.

• Career oriented woman will have no time for me. She will be tired, and her mind on her business, her many worries at work. She will not want to make food, or do any cleaning. Too tired or stressed for sex. I will have to do it all. Why even have her around? It'd be better to be single.

• You just hit the feminist in me right in the face. That is such a macho answer. Why would ANY girl want to have anything to do with you, then? For your charming personality, maybe? Let me laugh. This is 2014, sweetie, not 1954.

• I'm going to be highly educated, but I'd love to be a housewife if I can. I might find him charming CDixon. ;)

• CDixon, the woman I choose as my mate will be my everything. She will be my comforter, my lover, my best friend. I will come to her with *all* of my problems, troubles, pains. And in turn, I will carefully listen to everything she has to say. I will cherish the moments of caring for her, rubbing her feet, showing her that I am not complete without her. That I will not live without her. That I appreciate and love her. And especially that she is the only woman in the world to me. In short, she will be my everything. A feminist like you will want to do whatever you can to avoid things to make me feel better. I read an article that said that women who bring home the bacon have sex with their men far less than women who do not. That tells me all I need to know about your kind. What do I have to offer someone who is not puffed up with pride? All of me. My heart, my soul, my body. My love. Nothing less. What do I have to offer someone like you? Disdain. You are why misogynists exist.

• One who likes to work, but cook steak too at nighttime for me.

What Girls Said 2

• Well to me it's as simple as finding a guy who would be okay with you working. I've said it before and I will continue saying it... I didn't spend all that time in college and am not continuing to pursue more college for no reason... I want to work. I have spoken with my current boyfriend who is totally on board with that. If we have kids, he would stay at home, and if we don't then we will both work. We don't really want kids, though. To be honest, he does not make enough money to support the both of us, let alone throwing children into the mix.

My career path is in education, so I will not necessarily be working year-round. Kids or not, I will have plenty of time for whoever becomes my husband and plenty of time for my kids if I decide I want them.

I worked at a daycare for 3 years and then was a nanny for 3 more. In that time I also babysat for several different families. I know it isn't the same as having your own kids, but it really wasn't the situation for me. I believe that the only way I would be a stay at home mom is if I were to have a child with a disability, in which case my educational training would be applicable. But who knows, that could change.

If I were to break up with my bf and meet a man who made great money and wanted kids... I could compromise. Stay at home mostly and also substitute teach... Not for the money really, but because I love it. But I would never give it up altogether.

• Wouldn't you take joy in home-schooling your kids?

• No, I think that kids need to go to public schools (or private) unless there is a serious reason that they cannot attend. I oppose home-schooling in most cases. There ARE exceptions, though.

• I think people can be a healthy balance... Most of us (men and women) aren't the head honcho workaholic type, just necessary cogs.