Would you hyphenate your last names for marriage? Ex Knowels-Carter?

I think it's a great idea. Women taking their husbands name should be a thing of the past. To each their own though.

Thoughts?

@AndyWes who oh so maturely blocked me- If I'm upset with someone I don't have sex with them. I'm pretty sure that's not a difficult concept, and few would disagree that it's perfectly acceptable.

Most Helpful Girl

• not really the marrying kind, but, yeah, if it came to it, i'd keep my name or hyphenate it.
    someone wrote about this already-men see equality (hyphenating, keeping name) as women getting more than them, because they're so used to getting everything. and i'm not interested in any man who thinks that way.

What Guys Said 11

• It's a mess. It was really popular here a few decades ago, and now their kids are getting married and reverting to single names, because when Michael Knowels-Carter marries Laura Johnson-Rowlands, they really don't want to become the Knowels-Carter-Johnson-Rowlands family.

As one woman I know put it, you can have your husbands name or your grandfathers, lets not imagine either strikes a big blow against the patriarchy.

I do know of two couples who just picked a new last name together.

But my family has my family's name. My sister tried to legally keep her old because she had publications while using her husbands when doing family stuff... which has occasionally been a headache for her.

• TO me the hyphen suggests a broken home, not a professional name.

To stiff arm the guy's name somehow stiff arms him (traditionally) in other clandestine ways, others will speculate on, so noooo.

Adopting one's maiden name as a new middle name seems to envelop all without excluding much.
    e.g. Dr. Sally Ann Roberts marries Pete Hungwell becomes
    Dr. Sally Roberts Hungwell

• Only if there was a valid reason.
    My last name is pretty unique and I wear it with pride so that also means I can understand if a woman does. But I'm not hyphenating for a common name like "Jansen" (= like Johnson).

Like I said here before: if her name is something awesome like Schwarzenegger I'm definitely in.

By the way, not sure about marriage but I just pretended it to be about the children's last names.

• I'd consider it, as long as my name wasn't going to be Mike Hunt-Burns.

• If she is that picky of a feminazi, Im sure I would have ditched her long before marriage was even discussed. Each to their own, I couldn't care less what other people do, that's just my feelings.

• So she has to like patriarchy? LOL ok

• Great, I said I could not care less what other people do, that is just my personal idea.

• I'm aware you said "can't WE just keep our last name?" And I'm saying if your "wife" is cool with it I can't speak for all men or women merely answering your question about other people.

• I think hyphenation is lame. Where well it end? You have a kid then they meet someone that has a hyphenated name...I don't think the woman has take the man's name. In fact I'm getting married and we came up with a new last name all together. We see it as starting a new family so we're starting out totally new.

• I like the idea of my future S.O. taking my last name.

I could understand if the guy had a terrible last name, though. I mean, no girl would want to be known as Mrs. Dingleberry.

• Or Mrs. Butt. I had a teacher with that last name.

• Oh god, that's terrible.

A semi-recent presidential candidate shared my last name, and he drug into the ground for a couple months. Luckily he didn't win, and the name has rebounded since. :)

• If the woman was famous, or *maybe* if there was some deep concern about her family line ending or something...

Otherwise, no way. That's a bad sign before you go into something like marriage, that a the woman's not even willing to take your last name.

• A bad sign she doesn't like patriarchy?

• Though you do seem a little on the confused side, so I can't blame you for being upset.

• It should be a choice. I wonder if when I marry, I'll be able to take my wife's name into my own. Or if that'll actually sound good instead of being a hassle, haha.

• What would the kids last name end up being then?

• NO WAY JOSE!

• No, I will not marry anyone who isn't interested in taking my last name only.

• Down vote all you want, this society today is ridiculous. I mean everything is amplified and blown up into such a big deal, down to hyphenated names. I mean c'mon. It's petty.

• You sound pretty nuts to me.

• Knowing your views and values, I'm flattered.

What Girls Said 8

• Oh hell no. If I was going to do that my last name would be like 20 letters long. I'm not even considering it. Two long Eastern European names probably shouldn't ever be hyphenated, lol. I also like the idea of my family having just one name.

I'm really indifferent to what other people do in this case, since I don't see anything wrong with any of the choices. I've just decided to go the traditional route.

• I'm just wondering - since hyphenation seems to be the trend now, when all their kids grow up and marry each other. Assuming this continues, would they all be Name-Name-Name-Name? lol.

• I don't know! That could be interesting though hahaha

• No, I like the idea of taking my future husband's name. I don't like my own last name that much, anyway.

• I think it's a personal decision. I know that I would take my boyfriend's last name if we ever get married. It might be a thing from the past but it's probably the only thing I like about marriages. The idea that once you have your children, it's a new family, with just one last name. I don't want to have two last name.
    I love my last name and wouldn't mind if it was my boyfriend who'd take mine, I just like the idea to both have just one last name.

• I think it's saying that you're joining HIS family, not starting a new one when you take his name. I like the idea of a new name or a hyphenated one because it emphasizes the union of the people to make a family. But I recognize not everyone thinks the same.

• Maybe :) but I don't want to give up on both family name, I like the fact that it existed for a long time before us, the historical fact I don't want to create a new one and I don't want two last name. It might sounds like joining his family but to me it's more like having our own little family.

• i would choose to hyphenate because i want to keep my last name in honour of my father while i also want to take my husband's last name.

• I would just not change either of our names.

• I love the idea. I'm young but I have a hyphenated surname and I love that my mum kept her independance. The only issue now is that I don't know what I will do for my children in the future...

• No.. too long!!

• Ill get married , but never will i change my last name, cuz i love my family and i think it should stay forever