Stay at home moms? good or bad?

Okay so the conversation has come up for me to be a stay at home mom. me and my husband have a 1 year old little boy. He feels that we shouldn't get a babysitter. But doesn't want to stay home himself. I love my little boy and want to be with him 24/7 but i've grown up being taught that i need to provide for myself. So i'm just really torn. Opinions on stay at home moms?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm in the same boat as you, I have been a stay at home mum since my daughter was born 10 months ago, my partner works 6 days a week to support us and it works out, I work in a bar some Saturday evenings just for some extra money. My thoughts are that the next few years are going to be full of precious moments that I don't want to miss, I will put my daughter in to a nursery when she's two, there's plenty of time to build a career but kids grow up so quickly and I want to be there and cherish the time I have with her as a little one, not rush her in to preschool. Plus, the amount of money I'd get working would just be enough to cover her day care anyway so there's no point.

If your that desperate to go to work, go part time and get a good babysitter who is flexible and whom can give your little one undivided attention without other kids or get a devoted relative to have him for a few hours every few days. Good luck!

What Guys Said 2

• todays life? either gender.. its not uncommon

• Feminism was originally suppose to be about women having the same opportunities as men. Somewhere along the way the message changed and started teaching women that they are lesser women, that won't accomplish anything with their life unless they chose a career.

One of the most common things I hear from feminists is that they claim not to look down at women that stay home, but that they want a career so that they "will actually do something with their life." Think about what that implies. Basically they are shaming women that don't want to pursue a career, because they are wasting their lives by not doing anything. That is incredibly insulting to all stay at home parents.

When you really think about it why shouldn't you stay home? You want to stay home. Your husband wants you to stay home. You both think it would be best for the child. If you ever do change your mind you are always free to go back to work if you want. There is no downside to it. Unless you really need the money their is no reason not to do this. The only thing stopping you is that society has been trying to turn the idea of a stay at home mom into some sort of taboo.

With divorce laws being what they are stay at home moms are not dependent on their husbands like in the past. Which was a big part of the reason feminism started in the first place. Women at that time simply couldn't afford to leave their husbands even if he beat her. Current divorce laws in most places really screw over the breadwinner to provide for stay at home parents now. So stay at home moms have the financial protection they need.

What Girls Said 1

• My family's opinion of them is this: A single parent does the same thing they do and still has a job.

I personally have no interest in being a stay at home mother. I told my boyfriend that if he wants to not have a babysitter for any future kid we have he can stay at home with the kid 'cause it isn't going to be me.

I don't see an issue with a babysitter. You staying home would mean your household losing your paycheck. Are you willing/able to sacrifice that?

• Good for you standing up for yourself! was he okay with you saying you will not stay home?
      We don't need my check. He makes plenty, I was just raised being taught that i need to work to provide.

• He quickly decided a babysitter/daycare didn't sound so horrible. Even though his future career - lawyer - technically would allow him to work from home :p