CONTEST: Enter to Win a $25 Barnes & Noble Gift Card! [Read Desc.]

Hello everyone. :)

This is my second contest for a prize on GAG. One winner will receive a $25 Barnes & Noble bookstore gift card that will come directly from me. Please read all of the rules and the question prompt before entering.

***PLEASE READ: Contest Rules***

1. You must be 18+ to enter

2. You MUST post your answer anonymously to prevent any unintentional bias when I read and select the winning entry (any not anonymous answers will be disqualified)

3. You can enter only ONCE in ONE post (3k character limit, no multi-posts or extra comments allowed)

4. The contest will end on May 1st, 2011 and I will pick the winner and announce it in an update and I will also comment on the winner’s post

5. Whoever wins MUST divulge their username and contact me in a private message because I will need your address to mail you the gift card (This is why you need to be over 18)

***PLEASE READ: Contest Question Prompt***

Select ONE of these paintings, one that speaks to you, and write about your reaction to it. I want to know how it makes you feel and what you think about when you see it.

Please specifty which picture you are writing about by posting #1, 2, 3 or 4 in your answer so I know what I'm reading about.

1. link

2. link

3. link

4. link

You may include things in your response like- What do you like about it? What don’t you like about it? What do you think is going on? What do you think about the artist who did this? Do you know any of the history behind this piece or about the artist? If you’re familiar with art, what kind of style or art movement encompasses this piece?

Good luck to everyone and thanks for your participation,

Congrats to the anonymous girl I've notified. Thanks. :)

Most Helpful Girl

• I picked number 4

This picture is bitter sweet to me. The colors, the red walls and bright lights represent to me a happy, cheerful place that should be full of life and laughter. Seeing just the bar itself, I'm imagining loud, lively music playing. However, looking closely at the figures in the paintings, they all seem to be sad and to fold into themselves.

On the right side there are 2 figures sitting together at the table. The figure with the blond hair seems to be talking and using her hands to get her point across while the male figure does not seem to be responding well to the news that he's receiving. His head is resting on this hand and he's slumped over the table.

There is also an older man leaving the place, he's standing next to the pool table. There is an empty bottle of wine at the table that he's leaving. He seemed to have made a decision about something and from his body language he's walking determinedly out of the bar. Perhaps he's fed up with something and is determined to deal with that matter, whether that's a positive thing or a negative thing, I'm not sure.

There are 3 more figures painted on the left side. At one table there is a man and a woman sitting together and a lone man sitting at a table by himself.

Looking first at the couple sitting in the corner, the man is looking down while he's talking to the woman, refusing to meet her eyes while the woman's face is positioned as to face the man. Her head is bowed down while she is listening. It doesn't seem as if he's telling her good news.

The last figure is slumped over himself and is holding his hat down as to cover his face. To me, this signifies that he wants to be left alone and is either shutting the world out or is closing himself off to the rest of the world. Perhaps life has dealt him one too many bad cards.

The reason why I picked this is because I think it's a reflection of life for past, present, and future generations. People put a smile on their faces and go about their day. They smile and they laugh, in all regards they appear happy and excited by life when in reality, they might be crying and sad on the inside. I feel as if this painting reflects that. The background is so bright and so upbeat that at first glance, you think that this is a painting of a happy scene. But if you examine the painting closer, looking carefully at the figures the artist painted, we see that this is not the case. The sad people and emotions are hidden by a bright room.

• Congrats. You win. If you could go un-anonymous or type your username to me that'd be great. I need to talk to you about mailing you the gift card. :)

• Good idea. Thanks. :)

• thanks for picking me :)