Im not offended by this but...?

I'm in an interracial relationship. I'm black. Been with my boyfriend 2 years. I met his parents in the middle of last year.

Before meeting them, I said something really offensive!

I said to him "I'm just thinking, your grandparents are really old, what if they don't fully approve of or are comfortable with us dating?" He got really offended by this.

Months later, I met his parents. His mom told me a couple times that she is happy that her son is dating me and how sweet they think I am. (I totally love his mom).

Anyway, his parents flew me and my partner out 6 months later to spend Christmas with them in another state. I met his extended family on his mom's side day before Christmas and we all drove to his dads side the next day for Christmas.

Me and my partner's grandma (she's white) spoke for like hours on her couch.

We spoke about everything. Even race! And one moment she asked about my ethnicity. I said I was a black Jamaican. So she then said something like "so you're not like African American kind of ethnic. You know what I mean" she struggled to choose a word, "like negro" she said.

I'm not offended and I was so comfortable speaking with her and hanging out. My boyfriend was there and heard and didn't say anything. (Haha poor guy).

I just keep thinking about it and wondering about the term... I never brought it up to my partner but I just don't want him to feel Awkward as if it offended me.

Well my fam wouldn't say anything racially negative about white people... We are a family with diff racial backgrounds...

To be clear... I was just worried about what my boyfriend would think about it since he got so offended just because I was a little afraid the grandparents may not approve of us because I'm black... In the beginning I thought "maybe he thinks that our conversation about race validated my fear."

I've got my plan now! Thanks everyone!

Most Helpful Guy

• I was always annoyed with racist point of view. If a guy love a girl, he loves her race too. He was supposed to say something. It was the least he should do.

• I just laughed because I thought it was funny. She was really sweet so I don't think she meant anything negative. I just don't want him thinking I found it offensive :)

• Read about all these nazi rallies and stuff lol

• Tnx for B.A.