Which band do you consider to be the pioneers/fathers of heavy metal?

I know I'm venturing into very dangerous territory here, but am still interested to see everyone's opinions.

• Led Zeppelin
  • Black Sabbath
  • Judas Priest
  • Other (please list)

Most Helpful Guy

• I have to say that Ritchie Blackmore's contributions as a founding member of both Rainbow and Deep Purple should be mentioned right alongside Sabbath as founders of metal. And if you're into Power Metal like I am then I'd say their contribution was even bigger.

What Guys Said 11

• Sabbath and Priest get tossed around a lot as metal pioneers. And with good reason because they inspired a lot of bands.

I think one of the bands that gets mentioned less often is Budgie. They were pretty influential, too but they didn't get as much credit. Metallica covered a few of their songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP0n4EpoAKQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrJOIXOldnQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54H3EUAzpVg

• Black Sabbath. Judas Priest acknowledges being influenced by them, and while Led Zeppelin certainly had some songs that were moving towards Metal, as did Deep Purple, but they never really got there. Sabbath's style was Heavy Metal from their first single - at the time, it was a pretty unique sound.

Bands from Sabbath's era universally acknowledge them as the first band to popularize, if not create, Heavy Metal.

• Great bands you've listed but Born To Be Wild by Steppenwolf is generally considered by critics to be the first HM song. Britain's first HM band is generally considered to be Deep Purple. What's significant about Deep Purple is that guitarist Richie Blackmore was the first to get HM sounds from a Fender Stratocaster

• Actually, it's not considered the first metal song, just the first that ever used the term. But Deep Purple does seem to be one of the bands that is argued to be at the forefront, as they influenced LZ, who influenced BS. But I've heard the majority say Black Sabbath created the sound, Judas Priest created the look.

• I'm going to stick with Deep Purple as the first HM band

• I don't think this is dangerous territory. It's easy to look back and see where heavy metal started developing.

Dangerous territory would be arguing about sub-sub-genres with idiots.

• There is actually some disagreement on this subject, though. Most say Black Sabbath, but they were influenced by Zeppelin. Then Judas Priest are called the "Metal Gods" and gave metal the look.

• Well, I mean, it's not hard to see the influence that each of those bands had on pretty much every band that followed. I don't think it's entirely fair to say it "started" with one particular band, because each of these brought something new to the table that hadn't really been done before, and each of those bands had musical influences of their own. Metal evolved from other types of music, and it kept evolving into the kind of stuff we have today. Influences upon influences upon influences.

• well, the first music I heard that could qualify as 'heavy metal' is Guns n Roses. But I know other bands came before that - I've just never heard them.

• I'm not the guru on this eventhough I am a Muso but I just read that black sabbath, tomy iomi was the sort of pioneer of distorted rock in a metal sense.

• Black Sabbath. Zep had some pseudo metal sounding material on a few songs and definitely influenced the genre, but they never released an album that you'd call metal. Sabbath was metal from the start of it.

• Slayer, metallica, nile, deep purple really started metal honestly.

• Black Sabbath, no doubt.

• Mercyful fate = heavy metal http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M62zt0CZid4

• Pink Floyd - Scorpions

What Girls Said 1

• all of them.