How can I help my boyfriend get over his gaming addiction?

My boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship of 2 years, so we try to talk to each other as much as we can via Skype. What we do is we'll talk for a bit when he gets off of work (which is around 8-9pm). He leaves to go play video games with his cousin, and then he calls me whenever he's done (which used to be around 11pm-12am) so we can talk for the rest of the night and eventually fall asleep (yes, we sleep on Skype together). Lately he's been calling me later and later (12:30am - 2am) because he loses track of time very easily. And I've been getting frustrated with him calling me so late because that's the only time we get to talk to each other, but we'll only be able to talk for a couple minutes since he has to get up early for work. So one day, I've confronted him about it and we talked it through, he apologized, and I thought that would be the end of that. Wrong. He does this on and off every 3-5 months (he'll do it for a couple days until I say something, then he'll stop but slowly start doing it again after a few months and the cycle repeats). This month, I've just about had it. So I confronted him about it again and told him exactly how frustrated I was. He knows he's addicted. He's been addicted since he was 13 (he's now 23). And the reason why is because he plays games to escape the realities of his life. He's really unhappy with where he is right now and there's nothing he can do about it for another month. So, once again, we talked it out and came up with a plan. He'd call me at a specific time every night (12:30am), and he's been consistent for a few days. But last night, he didn't call at all, so I called him this morning to see if he was okay. He was fine so I just wished him a good day at work and hung up. I plan on talking to him about this tonight. I really want to help him through this, but I feel like I'm fighting a one-sided battle. And I'm tired of being upset and worried every night when he calls me late. What can I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• You talk to him every day after work.
    Every day.
    Every. single. day.

Now why shouldn't he be allowed to do things he likes to do, besides catering to your need for attention

So he has a great relationship with his cousin...
    So they spend time together doing something they both like...
    AFTER having talked to you.

Sounds to me like you are the one with a boyfriend addiction problem.

What Guys Said 6

• Have you tried telling him that you are worried about him?

• Give him much more sex and dont wear any underwear at home

• Go over have sex with him and he won't want to play

• Don't tell him he will have to wear glasses because that is complete and utter bull****. People wear glasses because they age or because they have a difference in their vision from childhood. They do NOT become glasses wearers because they play computer games - that is an incredibly inaccurate and ignorant viewpoint.

Oh and don't imply that wearing spectacles or lenses is something undesirable.

• Tell him excessive addiction to games will cost him his eyesight, then he will have to wear spectacles or lenses or inform him about harmful effects of addiction. Try to make him busy in something new.

• You can not tell him what to do or how to run his life, you can only tell him how you feel about it. If it's hurting you that badly, maybe it's time you found yourself a new man. One who you're more compatible with, yes?

What Girls Said 2

• ... he plays for a few hours and you think he's addicted? I know LDR's are hard but you shouldn't have to talk every single night. That would mean his whole life is work, and then talking to you. Let him have some fun, obviously you'll still wanna talk sometimes but to want his attention every single time he's not busy is too much to ask in my opinion.

• Play with him and kick his tail atit.