Girls, is it safe to go in the pool while on your period without a sanitary napkin?

I'm in the last days of my period, the stage where the flow is much lighter and slower and more brownish, and was planning on going swimming with girl friends this weekend. I CAN'T wear tampons (believe me, I've tried), and am wary about using a pad because it might detach and float out in the water. Would it be safe going in a chlorinated pool? Like, I wouldn't have to worry about any leakage would I?

• Yes
    37% (17)
  • No
    63% (29)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll

25

Most Helpful Girl

• I know it's definitely not ideal, but it's not unsafe. Water is chlorinated for a reason. Vaginas don't only just produce fluid once a month. Discharge can happen at any time so I don't think it's that bad.

If it's really light, no one is going to know. Yes, maybe some people think it's gross, but kids poop and pee in pools all the time.

You could also try a menstral cup too. It goes inside of you like a tampon, but some people who have issues with tampons can wear them too. Just another option to look into if you already haven't.

What Girls Said 24

• Yes just have a towel to wrap around your waist invade you leak or invade you are lounging around longer than you thought you would before getting in the water. Have underwear and a liner (not a pad) to change into when you know you're out of the water for good

• Don't do it. If you were going to the lake, sure. Not in a pool. Don't contribute to the pollution that is a public pool.

• The period wouldn't stop flowing in the water?

• They say it's supposed to, but I am not personally willing to take that chance.

• Just wear a tampon.

• Please don't do that. Save yourself the embarrassment. Plus I would be self conscious as ever wearing a pad in a pool.

• How many days since you've started?

• No No No! Never right nope not at all. Be careful here that could go all wrong.

• ewww please do not, i do not do that

• Not likely... It's like when you shower a little may come out but not a lot. I guess it depends on how long you stay in the water for too.

• You should be able to, the blood flow stops in water but don't stay in too long or it'll start again

• Yes coz the blood tends to stop in water

• I would never wear a pad while swimming. But I guess if you can't wear tampons like at all put on a small thin panty liner like the blue always ones. But if you basically off your period you probably wouldn't even need it.

• I think you should wait.

• No. If you were my freind I wouldn't even go swimming with you. If I knew you were on your period

• Your period should stop in water just don't stay in for more then two hours around that's when the flow will start again

• Don't try it. You're gonna leak and the sanitary napkin won't stay

• Try using a menstraul cup.

• Yeah if you wear a tampon but I don't know any other option

• Yes because the chemicals in the pool prevents you to bleed more.

• I don't bleed while in water. Just whenever I get out

• I never do that im too afraid

• Don't try it please 🙈
    Been there, done that.
    Once you get out the water everything will start leaking.

• Omg please don't try it. Before u do. Take a bath and see how that works if u dint get a bloody bath water then it might be safe

• You do know you don't bleed in water, right? I can't wear tampons either, they slip right out, but just don't spend too much time out of the water and you'll be fine. When I go swimming, I wear tight underwear underneath my suit (but you can't see it) because swimsuits are never tight enough.

• No i dont think its ok to go for a swim untill your periods have stopped completely. Because you might contamintae the pool water with dischagre and if your surrounding pool water taints red you will only feel embaressed