Can anyone give me first time advice for converting U. S. dollars to Euros?

I'll be in France for a month, and I don't know how much dollars I should convert. I know I'm at least going to Paris. Are the rates of exchange going to fluctuate too much within these next few weeks? Do I have to have the amount I want to convert already in my bank account? Or do I pay for the conversion after I place my order?

Most Helpful Girl

• You should be able to do direct withdrawal using your bank card, and your bank will automatically do the rate exchange. Or if you prefer you can purchase traveler's cheques and cash them in at any bank in France. A good idea would be to put a daily exchange rate app on your phone. With technology now your banking can be done from just about anywhere. Enjoy your trip! I loved France!

• My personal bank isn't able to do foreign exchanges, so I'll have to go to a different bank to get that done. They're going to send the euros to my home. What do I do with the stack of euros then? :/ I wanted it to be on an ATM card, but how would I get the euros on the card? Travelers checks? Sorry, I'm just trying to understand!

• Wait, hold on.

You put dollars in your account accessible by your debit card at your US bank. In Paris, go to a bank with a compatible ATM and withdraw money (but euros) just like you'd withdraw in the US. Your card company does the conversion, charges a few % fee. The French ATM spits out euros.

• Can't I just go to an ATM machine rather than a bank, and do the conversion from there?

What Guys Said 6

• You MIGHT be able to use your debit card. When I was in Europe in 2007, I did. However, European cards now have extra security measures that most US cards do not. If you DO use your debit card, LET YOUR BANK KNOW YOUR TRAVEL DATES. THIS WILL PROTECT YOU IF YOU ARE A VICTIM OF IDENTITY THEFT. This happened to us. We were in Italy and noticed over $1000 worth of charges AFTER we left Italy. However, my wife had let the bank know our travel dates and we were off-the-hook and got our money reimbursed.

As for changing dollars into Euros, you can do that at any international airport or, better, at a large bank like Bank of America.

• Just get enough euros to get from the airport to wherever you're staying. Use your bank card to make withdrawls at participating banks and ATM machines. You can probably look up locations of ATM's near where you're staying.
    Analysts aren't expecting too much fluctuation of the euro.

• Exch rate is 1 USD to 0.88 Euro ( 88 euro cents ) unless something mad happens it will stay around that.
    Going through your bank account is probably cheapest and you are charged on day of conversion.
    Of course you could just use ATM in France.

• u should fetch em 2 some bank i uess :-)

• $1 = €0.877963
    €1 = $1.139
    I found this out easily with an app called "Convert Free". ;)

• That changes daily and, when actually converting, banks make a profit on consumers so consumers don't get that rate.

• use google it's accurate and great

What Girls Said 0