If you are inside a moving train and jump vertically?

Would you land on the same spot you took off from? - -

OR

Land in a different spot?

Assume the velocity is uniform

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd land on the same spot

• Thanks for mho

Most Helpful Guy

• You would land in the same spot due to inertia. You're going the same speed as the train so when you jump, you travel at the same speed and land as you normally would. This would only change if the train accelerated or decelerated the moment you left the ground. Although, I'm not a physicist so there may be some other circumstances that could change the trajectory of your jump but I'm not sure.

• Nice Nice answer :)

• @astatine When the train is traveling at a uniform speed, it should be the same as not moving at all. Everything inside that train is moving at the same speed as the train even the air and the jumping guy. It's not the inertia of the train that will affect the jumping person but rather your very own inertia. There will be no force significant enough to push you backwards.

• Oh. My. God.
      How could I be so dumb.
      I completely forgot that it is moving uniformly

What Girls Said 3

• this fucks me up tbh

I think of like... a fly is buzzing along the road, and ends up flying in through my open car window. Why doesn't it splat against the back windshield? It continues uninterrupted, out the other window, at which point I speed past it. What the fuck?

• Imagine the air to be a liquid and it's easier to understand why. The air in your car is also going the same speed as the car. Otherwise, when you let go of an item in your car, it would shoot towards the back window.

• ohhhh... yeah, that makes sense. Thanks @Distant

• I'm not going to land... I'm going to fucking DIE... or get a nasty scrape on my knee D:

• I would land on the same spot.

What Guys Said 8

• i1127.photobucket.com/.../...f.com-add-text_15.gif I think the same spot since you body is moving at the same speed as that train, right

#RandomThought I've always wondered what would happen if ___ jumped right before an elevator smacked the ground?
    Would __ take any damage if their body was in the center of the elevator carrier thingy? I mean they aren't touching anything right? So you'd think they'd be safe, but then again wouldn't all of the momentum or whatever the scientific name is for it be stuck their body while the carrier was failing at like 90 MPH

I think you see what I'm trying to get at here LOl

• your body (
      same speed as the train*

• I used to think this as well but due to Newton's 3rd law, the force applied on the elevator would not be sufficient for you to leave the elevator floor. You would have to somehow jump with enough force to become airborne while an object was in free-fall. Your attempt to jump would essentially just push the elevator down. In short, you're dead.

• You'll have no friction to decrease your speed cause you're inside the train, so you most likely end up in the same spot if the train didn't change speed during the jump.
    You're moving with the train, that's why when it stops you kinda move forward, cause you're still moving.

• You'd land on the same spot in the train, but slightly different geographical coordinates due to your body moving with the train.

• You'll land in the same spot because you're moving at the same velocity as the reference frame (train) so the result would be the same as if you jumped in a train that wasn't moving.

• dam... now that I think about it I never jumped inside a moving train. O_O

• According to chaos theory, no.

• The Earth is moving really fast! When you jump on the earth, do you move forward

There's your answer.

• same because u are inside it not outside and u move with it