What's it like in NYC?

I want to live there when I'm older, but I don't know what it's like there... What is it like there?

Most Helpful Guy

• I lived in NYC most of my life. It is a very big city, and thus, very different in different parts. Midtown Manhattan is pretty commercial with lots of stores and neighborhoods. You feel like you live at the bottom of a chasm because there are tall buildings everywhere. (NYC is not like London, it has skyscrapers for miles and miles. There are more people than London. There is more danger too. It goes on FOREVER.) The lower part of Manhattan is much more fragmented with differing neighborhoods, some bad some good. The Village (part of lower Manhattan) is trendy and bohemian while Gotham (Midtown) is more like Bond Street in London - but amidst taller buildings.

The areas outside Manhattan are all very different. Brooklyn can be tough, nice, or downright dangerous. KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING. Brooklyn has a lot of ethnic neighborhoods. Small restaurants and lots of diversity. The Bronx is mostly dirty and poor. I wouldn't recommend it. Staten Island is blah and doesn't feel much like NYC. Queens is mainly residential (but much of Queens is like London).

Overall, I find the people there nice. There is a hustle and bustle that you find no where else. You never need to leave, you can buy anything anytime of the day or night. There are street vendors everywhere and people from every country in the world. While it is dirtier than London, it is also more dynamic. There is no shortage of things to do and places to discover.

It lacks London's charm but it is also not the sterile commercial city that many of the large cities around the world are. It takes a bit of getting used to. You need to find the places you like. Once you do you will enjoy it. And there are a LOT of people (22 million in the Metro area (includes New Jersey and parts of Long Island) and half the people you see during the daytime have commuted into the city for work. Having a lot of people means you will find friends.

Sorry, it is hard to describe it.

• I either want to live near Central park, or in midtown west

• I would recommend living temporarily in a place before deciding where you want to live permanently. The streets around The Park are the most expensive. Unless you are very wealthy, you won't find a place there. You can live near there. It is like saying I want to live in Kensington Palace Gardens. You know?

The Upper West Side is nice, but the upper East side is wealthier. I, personally like the Village - it's fun. If you are into fashion or art, it's a cool place to live.

What Guys Said 7

• Busy, busy, stressing, expensive housing. But whatever you may wish, you can buy it (if you got the $$), except good weather in Winter and a cool breeze in Summer.

• As a native, and current New Yorker I will tell you this. The weather here is extremely bipolar. All four seasons can happen in a week. However this is only temperature wise. When the winter season is here it can snow a lot. The weather is also extremely cold, but in the summer it can be hot like there is no tomorrow. It is also frequently sunny in the summer so it can get very uncomfortable.

Like what most people said the City can get extremely crowded. New York City is the type of place where you just want to push people out of the way so you can go somewhere, but you know you can't do that so you just get angry, and tell people to hurry up. It's a City where people are busy with their own things going on. It is also extremely diverse. There are so many people here. It also leads to a lot of different things that are amazing that you won't discover elsewhere.

Lower Manhattan is the place where the City originally began. Here is the Ferry Terminal to Staten Island, the East River Ferry, and many other Ferries that links many places into the City. It is also extremely crowded here since our Staten Island Ferry is a free ferry. However as you head north you get into the Lower Financial District. Here is the most famous financial places in America. The World Trade Center, Wall Street, and the World Financial Center all occupy this space. Battery Park City also provides this place with a bit of housing though it is hard to find here, but you also get a lot of hotels here too. If you head East from Lower Manhattan you will find the Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Williamsburg Bridge. All three of them have paths that allows for biking, and walking to Brooklyn. Around here is the projects though so you want to be a bit careful as it can get very dangerous at night, but in the daytime it's a bit safer.

When you head farther north you find Chinatown with food, and clothes, and then you will find SoHo, and NoHo which is very hip with lots of clothing stores. When you get up to Midtown you will find the next Financial District, and over here sits the famous Empire State Building, Times Square, Pennsylvania Station, Madison Square Garden, the Port Authority Bus Terminal, and Grand Central Station. It gets very crowded here, and as you go farther north you find the richest parts of Manhattan with Park Avenue, and Central Park. It is really wealthy, but North of here sits Harlem, and once you get to 125th Street it can get unsafe again. So you should know where you go.

• There is not enough room for me to just type everything I know here. If you want you can message me, and I will tell everything I know about New York City. :).

• There's many better places to live than NYC. It smells bad, has too many people, and is a waste of money since $1 million only gets you a shitty 500 sq ft apartment. Also the weather sucks.

Move somewhere down South. Better job opportunities and nicer, less crowded cities.

• The city is nice, but there are way too many rude people. I couldn't even ask a stranger where a store was without them giving me a omg wtf does this guy want look.

• If u plan on having a lot of money its great! Unmatched anywhere. But if your poor and i mean poor like ur only making 80,000 a yr you will not like it.

• I went once before, very good.

What Girls Said 4

• In New York City... it is amazing. I'm assuming you are talking about Manhattan.
    But some pointers:
    Nearly everything is overpriced. Do some searching before you purchase a $5 water bottle lol.
    Like in every city there are a lot of rude people there, but some of the locals are really nice.
    Transportation:
    It's a very swift atmosphere. You have to move on the street with direction and purpose... don't look like a tourist. Business men and women etc. Get frustrated and will walk in front of you.
    Learn how to hail a cab... but only when you need them.
    Have an understanding of blocks and how to map out where you want to go. NYC is easy to follow a map, once you learn it though. This will help you when hailing a cab!

Also, dress fashionably. This is my opinion... but NYC is one of the biggest fashion city's in the world. You DO NOT want to feel underdressed. Going along with the fashion, Learn how to run in heels, or wear some other cute shoes.
    Additionally, if it's your first time, watch a Broadway show. Just ask the theatre buffs of your friends which one you should watch. (Wicked, phantom of the opera, les miserables) I'd recommend a classic though! :)
    Ps. Times square smells... :)
    NYC is amazing, as long as you are good at thriving in urban settings.

Peace
    Margaret

• Seems very crowded but very cool.
    Christmas in NYC is one of my biggest travel goals, it's like winter wonderland.

• Ask Delilah.

• BUSY AND COLD