Would you go to jail if this happened?

Let's assume you're a white middle-class adult US citizen with a driving license, get a good 8 hours sleep at night, don't drink alcohol and don't use your phone while driving. You get out of your house at noon and get in your car and start driving to your grandma's house. Someone who doesn't see you coming steps on the road. You do everything you can to not hit them but you do. You take them to an hosiptal immediately. They will be back in health after a while. Do you get jail time for hitting them?

@Esplorare, if you didn't block me, I would've posted this comment: ''Looking at that last comment, I won't bother trying to educate you. You're either a troll or very stupid. My teenage brain wants to get back on you and reply to those insults, but it's not worth it. Have a good day.''

I remember seeing you on another question of mine that was about abortion where you tried to slut-shame the character I made up to give an example. I think you're the one who needs to be banned from this site.

Most Helpful Guy

• NOt in the circumstances you described. But you would be much better to call 911. they know about moving injured people and can bring much of the medical necessities right to them. Unless it is a minor injury, do not move the victim.

What Guys Said 9

• Depends on the state. In most states it may be a misdemeanor to a revoked licence. In New York City it's absolutely nothing. No charcges whatosever, even if you were distracted by a phone or drunk.

• it depends if the person presses charges or not. But if they do, yes

• Don't worry i can take the wrap for you, just mail me the blood and i'll plant it in my house and call the feds...

• I doubt it, they could sue you though.

• If you move someone on your own you could possibly do more damage than god so you should call 911.

• If you can prove this was the case, then no you won't.

• Are you planning to "dodge" an ex? :P

• i hope u get the death penalty

• you seem pretty safe so far talk to a lawyer he can give more details

What Girls Said 4

• There is a good chance you will not go to jail, if you can prove that it was the victim's fault for stepping out in front of you. So, there has to have been no physical possibility that you could stop the car, or the victim was jaywalking. Or both.

As you took them to hospital, at least you wouldn't have committed a 'hit and run', which would have guaranteed you jail time. Your character doesn't matter really, all that matters are the circumstances of the crime, and whether or not the victim or the district attorney want to press charges.

• Really? American police seems to treat black and white people differently.

• Yes, they do, don't they? Legally, it doesn't matter if you're black or white. In reality, everything matters. It's all about whether or not you have money. And more importantly, it's all about if you're black or white. The police deny this, but they are inherently, as a unit, racist.

Sorry, that bugs me.

• It bugs me, too. In reality, it's more about who you are than what you did. It has always been like this, unfortunately.

• I'm curious what you think being a "white middle-class adult U. S. (with periods separating the two letters) citizen" has to do with this? You're perpetuating racism, little girl? Not cool.

GAG answerers are not the judge or jury in this case. Each case is different. We can give you minimal insight but at the end of the day, it all depends. The 'white middle-class U. S. adult' could get sewed if their are long term injuries.

• Well, if we're being SJWs, it's ageism that you call me a little girl. I added those because I think they make the first circumstances. Better than, say, a 16-years-old, starving illegal alien from Nigeria. Actually, around 100 years ago those would have a lot to do with your punishment. Black servant woman stole $70 from white woman? Jail time. White guys beat black guy to death? No jail time. Even today, US police are treating black people different than whites.

• With "my punishment"? So you assme that any individual who calls out a tone of racism or prejudice must be black? Have you forgotten that there are a shit ton of other minorities and ethnic groups that are not black whom white people have either screwed over or made highly uncomfortable? Not everything is about white and black people, little girl. Not every time a white person is called out for appearing toe racist, there's a black person behind it.

• It's not ageism lol stop trying to sound intelligent. You're not. You're a child using big words and trying to express concepts that you clearly don't have the intellect or maturity level to carry out in a flattering way.
      GAG was such a much better place when you ignorant, narrow-minded, pain in the ass children weren't running around acting like you need a babysitter and a mother to keep tabs on you and correct your mouth.

• I don't think so! If they had died then it would be considered manslaughter, but if they are fine then I think it's all good.

• No I think you just have to pay for their medical bills. Some girl hit my husband way back when he was crossing the street to get on the bus at 40mph and he just got his medical bills paid for him and that was the end of it.