For those in the US, how do you feel about having to push 1 for English in our own country and do you get the feeling we're losing our country?

For those in the US, how do you feel about having to push 1 for English in our own country and do you get the feeling we're losing our country? Do you feel that YES it's OK, or NO no when other country has forgotten about it's borders or it's own citizens and neither should ours.

• YES
  • NO

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm gonna quote from a grumpy old man: "We're in America, speak the f**kin language!".

What Girls Said 6

• I know you said for people in the US, but that happens here in Canada as well. We have two official languages here, English and French, so when calling the government or any corporation you get the "press 1 for English , press 2 for French" voicemail at the beginning. But the other day I also heard "press 3 for Hindi" which was really strange. I'm fine with immigrants coming into the country legally (I think it's pretty difficult to come here illegally unlike in the US) and speaking their language whenever they want to, but they should have a basic knowledge of English or French (if they're in Quebec). My husband is an immigrant, but his English is pretty much perfect and he agrees with me.

The US doesn't actually have any official language. English is only considered the defacto language there. Blame the lawmakers who made that rule way back when. They've probably shot themselves in the foot by not declaring an official language as most other countries do.

• Thank you! It's pretty pathetic when a Canadian knows more United States history than the people living here in America.

• You're right. But to them they don't consider it shooting them selves in the foot. No to them it's putting a feather in their cap. They want to please the rest of the world but they couldn't care less about actual citizens. They say the definition of insanity is repeating the same mistakes expecting a different outcome which is sadly the state the US is in insanity through their continuing to vote democrat or republican repeating the status quo then complaining about it when they get hoodwinked and duped just like the republican voters did this past November. Now they've been hoodwinked and they're complaining getting ready to repeat the same mistake in the next phony election.

• I think anyone who's offended by it is a narrow minded prideful dipshit

We stole this fucking country after mass murdering natives, calm ur tits about pressing one for English . Most countries have a few common languages and they don't bitch. Maybe we should know more Spanish.

• And like I said above you will know very well what a dipshit looks like that being you when you and your family are starving and why you had to push 1 for English before it's all said and done.

• Meh, it doesn't really bother me. I get more annoyed by people in foreign countries answering the phone and not speaking the language then the automated operator honestly XD

• When the day comes in believe me it's on the way just around the corner when there is no food to put on your table when it occurs to you little by little why you have to push 1 for English you will understand that very fluently.

• Well... good luck with that...

• It applies to everyone so I'm not sure what good luck has to do with it. But OK.

• If you're offended by that then you need to smoke a blunt.

• If you don't want English to the official language, what other language do you want all to communicate in?

• English is a requirement to become a citizen it's part of the test. So English is the official language and has been for years on end.

• Do nothing for people as in? Explain.

• Based on your answers here... you got nothing solid to argue for. You are just complaining.

• Right... because who's country is it exactly? Certainly not yours unless you're Native American, and even then there have been traces of other groups of people who roamed America long before the English came and stole the land.

• Well you're wrong on several accounts. Number one I am native American part anyway and two if the English stole this land as you say they had help from the Indians and Mexicans doing it those who didn't any longer want to be a part of Mexico's corruption. So if you're going debate this know your history first. And another thing, since you're commenting anonymously for all we know you may not even be from the US in the first place so I wouldn't even consider your input to begin with.

• And you're asking the question anonymously as well so?

• Yes I know I asked it anonymously but the question should leave no doubt I'm from the US.

What Guys Said 9

• Ur insane dude the Spanish isn't going anywhere. And why should it? They come here for a better life and do the jobs americans won't do. Next time u buy fruit or veggies u can bet ur ass it was picked by a immagrant. And i am white as white can be. Butdude really

• I see you're using the (useful idiot slogan) "jobs American's won do". Well I guarantee you first of all that is and never was true in the first place. And for all those yuppies that insist that be the case I guarantee you even they will do the worst of any job when they get hungry enough. You say they came here for a better life? Now where have I heard that one before? Oh yes that came from MSM who is by the way in on the take down of our country. And if they had came here for a better life like you so blindly say, then why are they turning our country inside out to make it look like the one they left behind? I'll tell you why it's because a better life doesn't interest them. And also if they wanted a better life then why didn't they do it legally and assimilate like our laws require?

• No, we're not losing 'out' country, since the United States of America HAS NO official language. Do some research.

Actually, the Native Americans (the ones who originally lived here) had their own language and culture before the whites invaded. So if we want to "live like a true original American", I guess we need to revive the dead Native American language and learn it, right? Oh wait, I forgot, white America doesn't care about the history of the country (UNLESS it benefits them.)

Isn't a "free" country about having the freedom to... speak your own language?

I remember seeing an anti-immigration question from an anonymous male 45 years old+ and I'm convinced you're the same person.

• I suppose if you want to ignore the facts going on limited research such as ignoring the illegal invasion going on right under your nose then no we're not losing our country are we? But for all we know you may be one of those temporary benefiting from the invasion by hiring illegals yourself. But if you are I guarantee you you won't be benefiting from it much longer because the US is broke and going broker by the minute and even a very rich man's money won't hold out very long in a country that is broke unless he's part of the elitist who has already hidden his fortunes in other country's and knows how to play the game. And if you're not a part of their group you're out.

• @Asker I find it funny you said NOTHING that gave a rebuttal OR counter-claim to my argument. Why? Because you KNOW it's true.

Oh crap, illegal aliens are coming! That sounds like... the history of America, when the Whites invaded the Native Americans.

• I believe you are the one that needs to study up on your history and I know this because what you seem to not know is that a HUGE majority of citizens in the country do in fact have Indian blood just like myself. That my friend makes them native citizens rather their ancestors came from England or not and those are legal citizens born here by the way. Study some history.

• I feel with all the illegal immigrants yes we are kind of losing who we are and the country. I mean don't get me wrong immigration when it is legal is a fantastic thing and it is part of what makes this country great, but when it comes to all the illegals I just can't stand for them they need to do it legally, and earn their right to call themselves American citizens not steal it. And the legal citizens who earned their way and that I have spoken to agree with me.

• You're right. They cheated our system of laws including cheated those who did it the right way not to mention they are stealing us blind taking our jobs and our money is flowing south and out to other countries money that the US will never see again to the tune of over 60 billion a year. They are breaking into our country and breaking our laws devastating our system financially and not only is our gov not doing anything about it they are actually aiding them to do it.

• I agree we should do exactly that.

• America is using a language originating in England, there is nothing "special" about it

• If there is nothing special about American and English then what's keeping you here?

• You're using a strawman argument, it's a language. It's not even uniquely yours, and it's not even the official language of America. Why are Americans so uptight about this?

• American's are so uptight about it because they can see what's going on right under everyone's noses. Read the Georgia Guide Stone and global agenda 21 little by little it will start making sense.

• I think we lost it a long time ago, it's just winding down now.

• Your question actually asks two different questions between the description and what is written above it. Confusing.

• You most be a Republican , lol

• Nope I'm not a part of the sheeple herd I'm independent.

• And now I'll repeat this comment to you. Well you're wrong on several accounts. Number one I am native American part anyway and two if the English stole this land as you say they had help from the Indians and Mexicans doing it those who didn't any longer want to be a part of Mexico's corruption. So if you're going debate this know your history first. And another thing, since you're commenting anonymously for all we know you may not even be from the US in the first place so I wouldn't even consider your input to begin with.

• The USA does not have an official language; unofficially it's English . If people want to live here, they'll have a hard time if they refuse to learn English , just as I would have a hard time if I lived in Russia and refused to learn Russian.