Do you think soldiers have problems after killing people?

Do they regret their decisions or feel guilty about taking a life. Or are they just indifferent to killing.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 3

• Many suffer from PTSD afterwards. Some have the ability to justify their killings. It depends on the psyche of the soldier.

• killing people is not normal... and if they thought it was normal... hell that guy is a sociopath.

• Yes they do!

What Guys Said 5

• Talk to some soldiers. You'll find many are suprisingly open about discussing it.
    Generally rules of engaguement are "return fire only" which makes it much easier for them to deal with (they only killed people who were trying to kill them and their mates). Generally combat these days (for those outside specialist roles) is moderatly abstract, [I point my gun at those mussel flashes on the ridge and pull the trigger, my mates all do the same, eventually the mussel flashes on the ridge stop], again providing deniability to the shooter.
    Despite that sort of thing... a whole hell of a lot do end up regretting it, developing PTSD or having break downs, and generally have a nightmare readjusting to civilian life. Especially in militaries which are more relaxed (or overly agressive) with the mental health/psycological preparedness aspects of their training such as the US.

• Ofc they do. They're humans after all. Shellshock and PTSD hits even the most veteran soldiers.

I wouldn't even join the military because I don't have it in me to kill another human being. Unless they've somehow affected me directly. Say if they killed a loved one I wouldn't hold back.

They feel it in them, I'm sure. Unless they're just heartless murderers. (Some soldiers are)

I've never agreed with war, and never will.

• Depends on the soldier, the war, the enemy, etc ... Many do, many don't.

• There are books on this stuff. Some people live with it. Others find it hard to cope.

• They used to train soldiers by desensitizing them to it. Then they discovered that that created major psychological problems in veterans.

So now they actually teach "compassionate killing", like, that soldiers only kill if they genuinely consider it to be the best option for all (whatever that means).

I'm not explaining it so well, but it's in this documentary:

https://vimeo.com/123749208

• Yes they do... That's what rehab centres for... They end up with bloody memories