Principles vs. Success... What do you choose?

I am at a point where if I stick to my principles and values I'm afraid I'm gonna fail. What is more important to you?

• Success
  • Principles\Ideals

Most Helpful Guy

• The reason people place a lot of importance on principles is that they are often well-tested guidelines for achieving the best outcome long-term.

So if your principles are in line with reality, ignoring them is bound to fail.

Personal example: I was on psychiatric medication for nine years even though every instinct and everything I believed in told me it was a bad idea. I ended up caving to the doctors' authority out of desperation.

Today I practically consider that nine years down the drain, which could very well have killed me, and which have likely shrunk my brain and caused untold damage to my surroundings. I gave up my integrity and suffered the inevitable consequences.

Or take Lance Armstrong. Sure, great show. But what about now?

• Interesting take, in your case not sticking to principles caused your demise. My case is reverse where sticking to my values will make me constantly suffer.

• No problem, I wasn't expecting such an insightful opinion on GaG :D

• Haha, cheers :) I hope you figure it out.

What Girls Said 2

• Principles always.

• I wouldn't value that 'success' unless I had achieved it by sticking to my principles. Otherwise it is meaningless to me

What Guys Said 7

• Hard to say. This is one of those things where it's hard to decide. But if anything, I'd have to say success because your future newborn toddlers won't grasp the concept of principles... but food on the table is something they will be able to understand. So long as a man provides for his family, it matters little how.

• exactly, most people don't know or haven't been unlucky enough to choose between the two. Sometimes sticking to principles can cost us our lives.

• I prefer success. My pride is always for sale.

• There's no contradiction.

True success is possible only through adherence to truly ethical principles.

• Umm not really, for example changing any aspect of myself is against my ideals but probably changing myself is the only way by which I'll gain success.

• Now I don't really know what so called "True Success" is. Seems like an utopian term.

• I mean success in an objective sense. I don't mean leading a perfectly successful life.

• A person without principles is not a person :)

• Principles/Ideals will always come first for me.

• I'm lucky in this. My ideals (and my following them) constantly bring me my definition of success. And I'm happy this way.

If push comes to shove, though, it'd definitely be ideals.

• yup probably you don't have this dilemma right not. But when the push will actually come to shove a lot of us back peddle.

• principles are more important when you're young.
    success is more important when you're older.

• interesting point, now that I think about it I actually used to be more idealist when I was younger. Over the years I've turned into a realist.