Do you believe you can choose to be gay or is it something you're born with?

Do you beleive you can just decide you are gay/lesbian one day or is it something you just are?

• I beleive you can choose to be gay
  • I beleive it is something you're born with
  • I beleive it's a bit if both

Most Helpful Girl

• I think someone who is gay is just born that way. You know kind of like a mutation that might occur in the womb. Since in the early stages of life everyone is the same gender. It's not until the hormones start to come around to change the sex of the fetus. So maybe during that process is when that kind of mutation might occur.

What Girls Said 5

• Born of course. In countries where people attack and kill gays like Russia, why would anyone choose to be attacked and killed? It's how they were born

• You're born being gay. Now bisexual, I think along the way it happens.

• honestly so sick of this question. it is NOT a choice. point of example: i know someone who is a.) a woman b.) black and c.) gay. do people honestly think that on top of being an african-american woman (an already difficult position to be in, in terms of discrimination and reduced rights) that she would CHOSE to be gay as well (another factor that makes life harder) . not directing this anger at you just at people who believe its a choice.

• Well a woman on another question claims that she was so sick of men that she just decided to like women one day. So to her it was a choice...

• i usually do. but this site is for sharing opinions which is exactly what i did. i know it won't go away. that's kinda of opinions work. everyone has one.

• Yeap, exactly. :)

• This is a really good question... on which I don't have an answer... Lol

• You can't be born gay, whoever voted b is a not bright

• So why would someone choose to be gay in countries that kill you for it?

• When they follow there feelings there choosing. You control you nothing else

• But you can't choose who you feel for, you can't choose who you are attracted to.

What Guys Said 11

• I don't think people are necessarily born with it. I think it's to do with life experiences at an early age. That's just a guess though.

I can't imagine it being a choice though. You're either attracted to the same gender or you aren't. You don't one day just say "ok from now on looking at tits does not give me a boner anymore"

• Yes I definitely agree with your last point

• Actually I'm straight and not much into tits, at least not big ones.

• It's probably a bit of both. There're some genes on the X chromosome that some scientists believe to be linked to the sexual preferences of a person. And then there are those that just get tired of the opposite sex or whatever and make the choice, so it depends on the person.

• It could be a combination of nature and nurture, like I think I heard that environmental factors during developmentmental years can cause it but honestly I haven't really done a lot of research.

At the end of the day, I don't think it's a choice. Just like I didn't chose to like girls, I don't think they choose to like guys. Also as other users have pointed out, after knowing all the extra bullshit gay people have to deal with, why would any rational person choose to be gay? like what would be the incentive/appeal?

• in my opinion , a small part of gay people are born gay and can't chose.
    in my opinion , a small part of hetero people are born hetero and can't chose.
    in my opinion , a small part of people are born bi and can chose to be hetero or gay.
    I don't know the prevalence of each group at birth. (Later it may be hard to change what has been chosen)

• born... definetely 8)

• It can be a choice but in that case does it come from the heart? Scientifically speaking it's a biological thing, so not a choice. In the early days they thought it was a disease!

• There's really not a whole lot of evidence for homosexuality being biological, there is some correlation, but correlation is not causation.

I believe it is much more likely a psychological and socio-enviromental issue. That isn't to say it's a choice, but that its not an inborn trait.

I have a hard time believing someone is born with a sexuality. Sexualitt developes over time, you don't come out of the womb with any kind of sexual attraction

• Possibly, and that's a common view for people studying this to have.

That's very hard to prove though, here's a gene that if you have it, you MIGHT be gay, but maybe not. That's where they are stuck

• Yeap. I guess it was wrong of me to frame it as an absolute thing. But that's okay I'm open to different opinions!

• Neither, you certainly can't choose to be gay, but I have no reason to believe that anyone is born with a certain sexuality.

• Think about it sort of like language, you aren't born speaking any certain language but you really don't have a choice in the matter. This is something much simpler than sexuality, but it could extend to personality traits as well which is more comparable.

Babies aren't born with a dry sense of humor, but many different societal factors can lead to just that personality trait, and it ain't genetic

• Why does it concern people very much? Be it a choice, hardwired in the brain, nature, nurture, mental illness, etc... All we know is that it is nobody's business. It is consenting adults having sex with one another. What people "believe" about this is entirely irrelevant.

• Totally born that way

• I think a bit of both

• And plzz don't forget to say hi to @toadette, I missed my CHILD U HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

• i1127.photobucket.com/.../...f.com-add-text_15.gif I believe you can choose to be gay and we can also choose beat yo ass until you're straight