What ever happened if a king or pharaoh die and his child was too young too rule?

In the past when kings or pharaohs ruled and it were a very important time (for example: during a war or other important decisiones made for the whole kingdom) what would happened in this situation:

- Just when it's a important moment, the king dies either on an accident or is killed. Obviously his son is the next king immediately but he's just between 9-12 years old. Would that child be just the king on papers (along with his signature) while someone else (the other nobles in the range and also his advisors) does all the work? Or would the child get helped by but still some of the responsibility?

Makes me wonder how was the young King Tut able to actually ruled a whole kingdom starting when he was just a 9-10 year-old kid?

Updates:
Note: Even if that child was a prodigy I have a hard time believing that a kid would be able to rule a whole kingdom and handle complicated and important matters.

0|0
5|4

Most Helpful Girl

• They usually had an adviser that was actually in charge. Several times in history it was the widowed queen (or whatever the title) that was the acting monarch when her husband died and her son was too young to rule. I believe this is how both Cleopatra (married to her brother) and Catherine the Great came to power. Sometimes the son would be diagnosed as ill or crazy and locked up (or evil killed) because his mother (or uncle or whoever the adviser was) wanted to stay in power. Catherine the Great should have only been Empress of Russia while her son was a minor, but she managed to rule well into his adulthood and until her death.

0|0
    0|0

Have an opinion?

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 4

• If the King/Pharaoh died and the son was too young to rule then I believe the Queen would act as the temporary ruler until the son becomes of age.

Thats how Hatshepsut became the ruler of Egypt.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some times if he have enough ego and support he will rule (rarely resulted in a better kingdom in history).
    But some times an elder sister, mother, uncle ant (previous king or queens sibling) or a a counselor will be the real king behind the scene or even take his place.

0|0
    0|0
  • he'll just b da kid-pharaoh... y impossible? :-P

0|0
    0|0
  • Age doesn't matter. They were pretty much considered gods. Anything that they created is amazing. At one point there was a ruler, the name of which escapes me, that started at 5 years old.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• When they are that young, they usually have an adviser or something. It is believed that a man named Ay was the man behind the throne when King Tut reigned.

0|0
    0|0
  • He married his sister, didn't he?

0|0
    0|0
  • They would appoint another relative or someone who had close ties to the throne.

0|0
    0|0
  • they would probably make him rule anyway.

0|0
    0|0