Do you think Disney Princess movies leave a negative impression on young girls?

Lol. I remember when I was little, the only thing I cared about during those movies was NOT the fact that the guys were usually wealthy, but were attractive and romantic.

Most Helpful Girl

• Even if kids know it's fiction, subliminal messages still affect them. And a lot of Disney movies are not the greatest.

What Guys Said 11

• If the parents don't teach the girl that it's not true, it's just a story and that real life is not like that, then yeah, but just like superheroes may give a negative impression in young boys if the parents say anything.
    My sister watched Disney movies and she never thought of herself as a princess and never acted anywhere similar to them, but because my parents made sure that she knew it was all fiction.
    I think it's all up to the parents whether it gives a negative impression, or if it entertains them, since the kid will take more into account what their parents say, instead of what a movie say.

• That depends on some kids though. I'm sure many girls were like me and considered the majority of men to be attractive and romantic.

At least in my experience, it's been disappointing.

• Remember the toy story photo i showed you? how was that photoshopped?

• But we're talking about behavior. I also thought all women were beautiful and now I know I was 100% wrong. A kid is something you build, and if you teach them not to believe in movies, they won't, but if you say nothing, they'll most likely believe it.

@Gagmosthated you're talking about the one with the shadow of the bj? In the movie that doesn't appear, therefore it was photoshopped.

• No more so than other fairy tales, I suppose.

images4.fanpop.com/.../...ess-18855227-658-436.jpg

• Some of them can leave girls with unrealistic expectations; that's for sure.

http://youtu.be/eT2R3E7vDUc

• Some of them can... but not all of them.

Disney has been doing a good job having less recessive female protagonists in their films and shows!

• Yes, lol hahaha as we all know by know disney is not the most trustworthy to leave messages in films,

Re watch the lion king , prince aladdin, my little mermaid, and try to spot the subliminal measssages

• I think that people should realize that most of them were made in different times. The damsel-in-distress thing is a bit outdated now (either that, or feminists simply pressure it to be), but it's not all bad. I mean girls still want a good looking guy who can take care of them in the vast majority of cases. But the helpless-factor should be toned down to align them with the modern times we live in. :)

• I'm a Feminist and if someone wants to be that damsel, more power to them. It's their choice to live life as they want.

• Yeah it is your own choice for sure. Some girls just like to be helpless like that.

• Really no. Little kids even know it's not real. It is a way to escape reality though and enjoy a happy movie or to play princess and prince or fairy tale stuff. Everyone knows it isn't real

• It's not about the fantastical illusion that I'm aiming for. I'm talking about the expectations that a lot of them grow up to want in men... and find out that sadly it's not always the case. Sometimes even MOST of the time.

• I thought you meant in general

• It was in general and I suppose it's my fault for assuming that people would understand that I didn't mean the objective parts of the movie.

A genie won't pop out of a lamp if you rub it. I think most people know that.

• When I was little, I'd watch the movies b/c i thought Ariel the Mermaid and Jasmine were hot lol.

• i think so though not on purpose.

• Yes, because they encourage unrealistic expectations.

• Duh filler filler

What Girls Said 13

• I wanted beautiful bouncy red hair like Ariel, I thought her hair was the prettiest. My hair looks nothing like her hair. Aside from the fact she was half naked and had a 2 inch waist, I got this fixation on her beautiful hair.

I thought it was ok to kiss someone on the first date while not really even knowing them.

I never questioned why Aladdin lied to Jasmine, ever.

• I like Disney movies, and I think they aim to give good messages to young girls. Eg, Beauty and the Beast promotes inner beauty and not judging by appearance. And with Mulan, it can teach girls to not just conform to what the world expects of them due to their gender, and to do what they believe is right.

But I can see how they can accidentally leave negative impressions. Like how most of the princesses have such extra-small waists, and young girls may feel they should look like that, which is really hard to achieve! And that may lead to body image issues. It just reminded me of how I watched the 2015 Cinderella a few days ago, and some people were complaining about how Lily James' waist in the film was reaaally small. I don't think it's on purpose though, and overall I think Disney Princess films are good xx

• Oh yeah, and I was watching Disney's 1937 Snow White a few weeks ago. And I was researching about it afterwards (this is what I do in my spare time lol) and some people said it's scary for young children because of the Queen wanting Snow White's dead heart and stuff. So that can have a negative impression

• A little bit...

• I don't think they leave a negative impression on young girls. From what I know and have experienced from when I was younger is that they're all able to separate fiction and reality. While we all liked to play pretend and dress up we knew that it was just playing and pretending.

• No, it's make believe even young children can differentiate between make believe and reality. They're stories to make you feel good.

• No because we know that it's only a fairy tale and not reality... Or at least we find out one day.

• My favorite Disney movie is Aladdin. He was poor lol. The only issue I have with Disney movies is that almost always have happy endings and I grew up believing that that was true in real life too. I learned quickly tho, that that wasn't the case.

• Naww. I loved Aladdin and he was the only poor Disney prince lol. I liked Jasmine too cause she didn't put up with anyones shit. Love that movie

• I couldn't finish those movies. They were super boring. I definitely didn't think of them realistically. It's a cartoon!

• Don't think they affected me negatively. I just like the fantasy aspect.

• I was never into disney movies

• If you have eyes you will find someone physically attractive whether the movie tells you to or not. So that wasn't the movies fault that's just your brain putting in work

• I think its effected guys more than girls.

I think its contributed to nice guy syndrome. Guy thinks he deserves the girl because he was her knight in shining armor, but she doesn't want a knight.

• Some girls want a knight. But I do think that guys who feel like they're unattractive feel that Disney tells girls to go after attractive good men. Which in my opinion is right.

• Basic human instinct tells girls to go after "attractive good men"