What is so wrong about being politically correct?

Recently I've noticed that being 'PC' is sometimes considered as being a bad thing, and is associated to being a suck-up or false and some people insult others for being 'too PC'. Don't get me wrong though, honesty is good in some situations. But I don't really understand why being tactful and keeping your true feelings to yourself is a bad thing. What are your thoughts on this?

• Political correctness is a good thing
  • Political correctness is a bad thing
  • Neither good or bad
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• (I voted A.) Notice the voting pattern. That right there is indicative of the problem.

Political correctness is a poor phrase for "being civil to each other". That's not a bad thing, but, at times it can go a little too far and that is a problem and that's why you'll see most (white Christian) males (who form the backbone of the GOP) vote B here. There comes a point when sensitivity for someone's beliefs or situation is in direct conflict with your own beliefs or situation. For example, Bruce born-with-a-penis Jenner decides he's a woman so, soon the New York Times will address him as a she/her. Meanwhile, suppose you are on a double date at a restaurant and you're in the bathroom talking with your girlfriend when Bruce walks in because he claims he's a woman. How are you and your girlfriend going to feel? A lot of women, liberal or conservative, are going to feel a bit uncomfortable. Bruce still has a dick; should he use the men's room or should "she" use the ladies room? It is stuff like this that is causing a negative reaction to the term "political correctness". It is one thing to say "Ms." instead of "Miss" or "Misses" when addressing a woman or saying Latino instead of "spic" because this doesn't negatively impact you, but compromising your ability to feel at ease in a public bathroom to accommodate Bruce Jenner's issues is something else entirely because it can really affect other people.

What Guys Said 9

• i guess it depends how a person is being politically correct. if you're like Oscar from The Office where you bump into every person's conversation with "Actually... blah blah blah" then its probably looked down on as.. kind of a douche hahaa.

• Because it's BS the whole thing was created so that no one was ever offensive and so every one couldn't possibly hurt any one verbally, and there would be sunshine and rainbows everywhere. It's a crock of crap it was actually created to limit free speech in reality it is impossible to not offend someone no matter what you say, you'll die trying to please everyone and you'll die before you please everybody. Personally I am not politically correct ever and yet I have actually have never offended anyone that I know in real life.

I'm all for being respectful but political correctness can bug off.

• I guess there's a limit, some people just use free speech as an excuse to cause offence to others, but people like you can not be politically correct and still be inoffensive simultaneously. More people like you are needed.

• I don't agree with any form of limitation on speech or expression of thought in ANY way. It is a person's right to say whatever they please as long as they are not slandering someone's name unjustly or threatening someone's safety. It is also the right of those around them to choose to listen or take what they say into consideration.

PC threatens that right as some people perceive themselves to be disadvantaged or discriminated against when they really are not and try to force others to speak differently around them. A good example is a girl who used to be on my Facebook who once said "Other people's feelings trump words EVERY time". Most people seem to agree with me on my thoughts of freedom of speech, however.

• Shouldn't freedom of speech also give people the right to express offence to something someone says though?

• They can always express that they are offended, of course, but they have to keep in mind what I've already mentioned: "It is also the right of those around them to choose to listen or take what they say into consideration.". If you don't like what someone says, ignore them and go about your day or tell them to "F!@# off" - don't try to limit their word choice.

• It is neither good nor bad. It is just humans natural desire to constantly pat ourselves on the back and convince ourselves that we are good people and better than everyone else. Just like political views, military soldiers, religious people, sport teams, etc... Everyone thinks they have made the right decision and actually they feel SORRY for others who chose differently. PC is an empty premise that has no meaning whatsoever. PC 200 years ago is different than it is today and it will be different in the next 10 years and so on...

I am indifferent towards the issue. But, I must admit that I actually enjoy watching useless morons, who have done nothing in their lives to benefit society or improve the quality of life, getting in other people's faces to defend thoughts they didn't even come up with, nor did they take the time to think about. Everyone is quoting someone else, full of misinformation! I find it really funny and entertaining, so Long Live Religions, Human Rights, War Heroes, Women Rights, and all the other nonsensical concepts!

• Sorry, but I'm not too sure what you're on about in your second paragraph. What do you mean by quoting someone else or not coming up with original ideas? what's that got to do with being PC?

• I mean that you hear an idea delivered by some idiot. It sounds good to you, and makes sense in your brain, so you conclude that it is absolutely correct and factual. Next thing you know, you are babbling about those thoughts to everyone you know and fighting people to death in order to persuade them with those ideas. If they don't agree with you, you assume that they lack common sense, mentally disturbed, racist, sexists, and what have you. Meanwhile, the only thing that validates the goodness/correctness of these thoughts is your brain, which will always be on your side.

Being politically correct is an example of the herd behavior, and social schizophrenia. And that happens to entertain me. I hope the picture is clearer. : )

• Right, understood.

• PC, is nice in my opinion... not offensive, so i find it weird y people consider it bad :)

• Political correctness is opposed to factual correctness, and that is why it's bad.

But, you shouldn't confuse being nice and polite with political correctness. Being nice and polite is good.

• I assume factual correctness is telling the cold, hard truth?

• So does it assume that you don't say anything unless there aren't facts to prove it? I disagree. For example, something like beauty. Beauty isn't a fact, it's subjective because different people find different things attractive. Someone's beauty can't really be factual.

• Political correctness is not the recognition that, for example, a few men genuinely find obese women attractive.

• It's a good thing but when it gets racist and sexist, then it becomes bad.

There is social theory called the Horseshoe Theory, where the far left and the far right are pretty much the same but get their conclusions in different ways. For example, cultural appropriation basically tells white people to stop acting like others, and white supremacist say the same thing, the SJW crowd says it's racist to be like others while the white supremacist says you are acting in a manner that is less than good if you act like others. There's even a place on Reddit that asks, "Is this a SJW or a StromFront?", (White supremacist if you don't know who they are.) and it's pretty hard to tell the difference. And things like kill all men and Yes all women are absolutely sexist which comes from the Social Justice crowd. Which is funny because that's what they say they want to end, sexism.

There's certain things that people need to be politically correct about, like not calling black people niggers or calling gay people faggots, though I think the word faggot has changed in the past 20 years in America, but we can not let it get too far because it will be the same shit just a different group making it happen, and of course we shouldn't be scared of talking for the fear of backlash of something that isn't meant to be interpreted in the way that it was, like the recent Bud Light controversy people interpreted it so terribly.

• the problem is that i find is that when people complain about things being too PC on here, its usually because they just got a racist post of theirs taken down and want to rant about it... so I always tend to take these guys with a grain of salt

• Because of social justice warriors who are helping people who don't want their help by screaming and moaning at people who use innocuous phrases.

ic.pics.livejournal.com/.../98446_900.png

thoughtcatalog.files.wordpress.com/.../7fch3ow.jpg

• So homosexuals, ethnic minorities and transgender people don't need help, even though they are persecuted against socially, historically and politically? Interesting. But I agree some of those buzzwords they use can become tiresome.

• The bingo sheet is full of things that PC Social Justice Warriors do that annoy people and turn them off political correctness. Your response included two of these at the same time and I pointed this out.

• So? I'm not a social justice warrior, I jusr appreciate that there's people that are prepared to fight for issues that don't even directly effect them. Not sure what's wrong with that. You're SHAMING (O3) me for this :'( :'( :'(

What Girls Said 5

• The people in my life that complain about being politically correct are often really bad at it, and their mouths get them into trouble in general.

I don't find it hard not to offend people while also speaking my mind.

It's a really useful skill when interacting with people.

• Exactly my thoughts, sometimes I feel like they use the argument of PC being bad as an excuse to be offensive.

• People who bitch about political correctness usually are mad that people will stick up for others. Many of them cry about free speech. Which is hilarious because
    a) No one is trying to arrest them
    b) Someone telling you what you're saying is shitty is ALSO free speech.

• Precisely.

• I disagree with political correctness and always make a point to stand up for others. While no one is trying to arrest me, people often try to dictate what I should say. I respect their freedom to have an opinion but that does not mean I have to change my vocabulary for them.

• wow look at the polarised opinion polls. guys, what's so wrong with political correctness?

• I think it can be good and bad

• What people call 'political correctness' in my opinion is just showing respect to others, and acknowledging for example that things which may seem insignificant to you are important to other people who have different experiences. There's a lot of talk today about being 'real' and just saying whatever you think or whatever; but I do think tact is important; not hurting others should definitely be valued above broadcasting your opinions at all times. You should THINK before speaking : is it True? is it Helpful? is it Inspiring? is it Necessary? is it Kind?