'He looked down at her' is the word 'down' a verb I'm this context? Thanks (have to add this pointless question mark to post sorry). ----> ?

What the title asks, 'He looks down at her'. Is down a verb?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's an ADVERB

• That's what I thought. But are you 100%? Like a adverb describes a verb which in this case is 'looked', is the word 'down' describing it? Sorry it's got me frazzled.

• If you want to get technical, the words "down" and "at" are prepositions. Since "down at her" tells you where he looked, it makes that phrase an ADVERB PREPOSITIONAL PHRASE.

• 'It tells you where he looked' , thank you that's what I need to hear so I clicked for me lmao! ;)

What Girls Said 2

• No, the verb is 'looks'; 'down' I believe is a preposition. A verb is a 'doing word'

• I'm pretty sure the verb is looked and the subject is he

• I know that I want to know what the word down is.

What Guys Said 3

• in that case it's not :)

• Looked is the verb - The past tense of the verb To Look

• Looked is the verb. Down is just a descriptor.

• Yes I know looked is the verb as verbs are doing words but 'down' what is it? Descriptor isn't the correct name for it.

• It's called an adverb. They modify verbs, adjectives and other words.