How to move to NYC at 18?

I need serious answers...
Don't leave a comment if you're going to be stupid...

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, you said you live in the UK right, basically, you're going to need an absolute fucking ass ton of money for :

-Scouting trips (travelling there to find work / accomadation) you can't move to the US without a sponsor (family member, spouse or dedicated employer)
    Let's not forget to mention that NYC is probably one of the most expensive places to live In the world in terms of real estate. Like, small apartments out there cost more
    Than massive homes in the UK.

-Green cards / Visas, probably the hardest part, you need them to live and work in the US, and only so many thousand (I think like 100,000) are given out each year, they are very hard to get and pay for, why do you think so many people enter the US illegally through Mexico? Because they can't get Visas and stuff

What Guys Said 5

• whats your current situation looking like?

• What do you mean?

• then I think you should start saving everything now and do research about the area you are interested in moving too.

• Okay... Thankyou x

• can u afford the rent? do u have a job?

• Honestly, it'll be very tough. Unless you have a great job you won't be able to afford anything in Manhattan or most of Brooklyn. NYC isn't that great anyway. I go there everyday

• I'm a model, and they said that I should move there for job opportunities...

• Yeah... I'll DEFINITELY take you up on that... Cause I wanted to know a lot about NYC

• Ok anytime

• Ny Is a bit expensive. It can be done though

• move to brooklyn, cheaper and only a bridge away from the "action"

What Girls Said 5

• Don't unless you have been accepted to a university there where they will provide housing or you happen to have thousands of dollars saved up, inherited, or stashed away for you.

NYC is the city that never sleeps because it is so expensive that everyone is constantly working all types of crazy hours and unpleasant jobs to keep a roof over their head and food in their stomachs. The apartments are much smaller and much more expensive. Even a cheaper home in New York is typically in an unsafe, shady neighborhood... the type of neighborhood bodies are found in on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.

Unless you have been accepted to a college in New York City, then you need to be more realistic about your future plans and goals.

• I'm a model, and they said that I should really move to NYC so that I would get more job opportunities x

• If there's a contract then they should be paying for you to move and your place. Just sayin.

• @Kris85 I agree. NYC is crazy expensive. The cost of living there is absolutely outrageous considering minimum wage! One of my good friends just moved there for school and I was absolutely shocked at the apartment prices for a one bedroom or even a smaller two bedroom apartment.

• Get your passport. Save up about 5000 to pay first and last for an apartment, furniture, and grocery costs. Secure a job beforehand preferably or have money put away to survive off of until you get one. Also keep in mind you'll have to pay for all of your airline fees as well and will likely have to take multiple trips to NYC to look at apartments and come home (unless you plan on staying in a hotel, then include a couple extra thousand dollars).

So yeah lots and lots of money.

• Save money, fill your, car with your, belongings and move.
    Do you, live close, to N. Y? Would you be able to, look at places beforehand?

• I live in England

• And I'm assuming that contract is in, England where you live. Obviously you can't move until that contract is over, but the company may be able to show you in the right direction on how to get a contract with an international company. Honestly, your best bet would be to get, noticed in a show and have an American company want you as a, model.
      Jobs are hard to get out here, especially for an aspiring, model who isn't an American citizen.

• It's an international company x

• Get a job, save your money and then move out there.

• It depends how far away you live. If you live close then you just get a job and save up a little money. If you live far away you have to work longer.