Do you think it's possible to permanently change your accent?

My natural accent is London British. Basically Cockney. We've got the knack to not pronunce "t"s at all. So for example this is how I'd pronounce this phrase:

I went to get some waer to feel beher. Hope that makes sense :D

I'm really good with a few accents, like Scottish, South African and even French.

I'm just wondering if you think it's possible to change your accent permanently?

Most Helpful Girl

• You can go to an elocutionist to learn how to alter your accent; learn to speak using a different accent and just always use that accent until it becomes 'normal' to you.

Also this applies to some people more than others, but I certainly find that if I talk to people with an accent that's different from mine then I tend to start imitating them without even really registering that I'm doing it. So maybe if you hung out with people who had another accent a lot you'd start to speak like them?

What Girls Said 8

• But you can say went and get? It's possible like some British actors on interviews start sounding more American when they've stayed here for a while. All depends on how much you want to assimilate I guess.

• yes, it very possible
    I am mexican so when i would speak in English i would have a accent
    that mostly every mexican has...
    no, i don't have that accent :)

• I talk with different accents randomly. It just kind of happens lol.
    I live in Kentucky and people keep asking me if I'm from Michigan... I'm not sure if there is a certain accent there or what. They specifically say Michigan lmao

• I Iove British accent. And hopefully I can speak English with British accent fluently

• Yeah I guess so

• It depends; for example, I can easily change mine.

• Nope I'm still stuck with my french accent after 10+ years

• Ohh nooon dat is terribelle :(

Tu veus monter dans mon char ou quoi? xD

• Did you just ask me if I wanted to get in your car?

• I don't think it is.

What Guys Said 4

• Yea I think so. I had a teacher in high school who grew up in England and moved to the states in her early 20's. After living in the states for about 15 years she no longer had a British accent or an American one, it was a unique and different accent.

• I'm also terrible with accents, I moved ot Australia about 5 months ago and I try and copy what my australian friends say and it's soooo bad, at least it gets a good laugh haha

• you can learn a new accent fo shure. Just gotta pay attention to the pronunciation and mimic it by saying it. After watching Downtown Abbey for a bit I picked up a British accent myself lol

• Yeah it happens all the time. If you moved away from england when you were 16 and started living in Canada, you would probably have a Canadian accent by the time you're 30 (Not the stereotypical accent, the one that sounds the same as americans). So yeah it's possible

• I've always liked the whole not pronouncing the t thing. Anyway yeah it's possible. Maybe if you live somewhere else for a while and make a conscious effort to sound like the natives it'd change eventually