Are you a capitalist or a socialist?

Capitalism: an economic system in which investment in and ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange of wealth is made and maintained chiefly by private individuals or corporations, especially as contrasted to cooperatively or state-owned means of wealth.

So basically, every man for himself.

Socialism: a theory or system of social organization that advocates the vesting of the ownership and control of the means of production and distribution, of capital, land, etc., in the community as a whole.

So basically, everyone shares.

Which one do you lean more towards?
I am a capitalist.

Most Helpful Girl

• Capitalist - hard work for personal gain levels the playing field beginning with education where required to enter the adult working world. Once you've entered the working world the hard work starts all over again, you get what you're worth once you've established yourself in the vocation you've worked your tail off to get into. After all that hard work, I'm not into "sharing the wealth" with someone who doesn't have the same work ethic I have.

Giving to worthwhile causes, charities is another thing all together, there is nothing wrong with giving someone who may not have had the chances or maybe even breaks I've had a helping hand up. However it's a major difference giving someone a handout, many people truly don't appreciate what they do not work for. Think of it like the rich brat who is given everything including the new car they abuse and tear up versus the kid who earns every penny for their used car, the one who earned it usually is the one who takes care of what they have.

So far right now being a poor college kid, most of my charitable giving has been giving time for some of the causes I believe in giving to such as a local homeless shelter, I've done everything there from washing dishes, cooking, laundry, cleaning the facility; usually donate 10 - 12 hours a month there. (Something my parents taught our family by example.)

What Girls Said 4

• I lean more socialist, though I don't think that either system is perfect.

• Definitely a socialist

• Capitalism. Because unfortunately, human nature has not evolved to the point where the majority of individuals will put in extra work if they will not reap special benefits for it. If we all get the same pay for unequal work, humans as a whole will try to do as little work as possible. It's unfortunate, but it's true. I wouldn't be putting in as much overtime, and paying off loans from my second degree, if I was splitting my paycheck with the guy down the street who refuses to get a job. 4

Some people need help, but a lot of people are abusing the system. My drive to succeed is motivated in part by the promise that I'll have more to show for it. I'll make more money by working a difficult job than by sitting at home living off welfare. That's my motivation. Take that motivation away? I'd much rather be hanging out with friends and sleeping in every day.

• Socialism.

What Guys Said 9

• Capitalist just like nature intended. I don't expect a handout or help from anyone, why should they expect one from me? Are you having a shitty unsuccessful life? Then get your shit together and work your ass off to make it better. Can't do that? Then you are the epsilon of society, and that's most likely where you belong.

• Well both systems have inherent flaws. Most people have forgotten the early testing of capitalism without any kind of regulation and the monopolies and robber barons that arose out of it. Both systems are flawed in their purest states but both can also be modified to be more effective systems. They can even be mixed with promising results although most pure socialists would probably argue that these social democratic systems still use the capitalist mode of production and are thus still capitalistic.

Socialist is usually a misnomer because people so easily make that claim about everything nowadays.

• Unless you own your own business, you're deluding yourself by calling yourself a capitalist. You're just a serf serving whatever overlord you've chosen.

• i am more capitalist but i don't believe in untethered capitalism. Capitalism needs rules and regulations to keep it from getting out of control

• 100% capitalist.
    Neither one is the right or wrong way. They both have pros and cons.

• I have more socialist ideals. I believe in things like subsidised health care for all, low to no university and further education fees, welfare benefits for those who need them and accessible public transport for all.

I know places like China and North Korea are more socialist and those places are fucked, but I believe it can be done better and it will be need over capitalist democracies when the world gets too overpopulated and the disparity between the rich and the poor becomes too large.

• Both have their upsides, and some serious downsides.

Overall though I side with capitalism. It might mean some kids who live in poverty are getting paid pennies an hour in Pakistan to produce our Nike clothing, but I find that socialism is an ugly trait highly associated with communism and some of the world's worst (or best) dictators ever.

• Capitalist.

• Socialist. I don't see why people think it's so bad. That's mostly coming from greedy people who are never satisfied

• "That's mostly coming from greedy people who are never satisfied"

Well that's a bold generalization.

• It's not generalising. I said mostly, not everyone