What do you think about religion?

There are many many religions in the world and they're all very different.

I personally am not very religious but I still follow it, and I respect everyone else for their religions.

What about you?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it provides a foundation for a successful society. Every successful society throughout history has been rotted and directed with a religion and deep belief in God. When we compare this to our contrary examples of societies built on atheism, we have North Korea, the Soviet Union, China (which holds the majority of the worlds atheists although declining). Religion forces one to re-evaluate individualism and strive for the community.

People always misunderstood what morality is... Christianity doesn't say that atheists don't have morals. In fact many of them can have morals, but this is because Chistianity believes everyone was made in Gods image with the moral law written on their hearts. Outside of that, there is only relativism which differs between one persons opinion to another with no objective standard of good. So atheists can be moral in the sense that they inherit it from God... they just can't justify it rationally from within their worldview.

There's this and the fact that if religion, specifically Christianity didn't exist. It's very unlikely that we'd have developed as we are or at all. There would be no basis for reason and logic and no reason to pursue science as a discpline if we don't believe in God

• Not to mention... art would be so much less inspiring... compare modern art to art of the rennaisance.

Historians are now widely accepting that the reason Europe had exodential growth over the more technologically advanced China (which had all the tools) was preciesly because of Christianity. Christianity helped Europeans develop science.

Science needs the compost to grow, something only a specific worldview can develop. The reason atheism had no involvement in science until the last 100 years (until science became something of monetary endeaver) was precisely because their worldview was that that universe was a jumbled mess with no order... mathematics, or science was out of the question because there was no order of a sort to observe to figure things out.

Christianity began with the assertion that God created a universe with laws, laws of nature. that things were knowable and intelligently designed. Thus there was a basis to begin science. Every scientist today as in the past

• is required to believe in the intelligibility of the universe and the laws... or we'd be incompetent to begin science.

So not only would we lack art (beauty wouldn't exist as an immaterial concept anyway), we'd also be scientifically incompetent.

There's Stalins type of soviet union controlled society we have to look to for atheism or Hitlers Nazi Germany with it's clergy death camps and "the great nazi plan" that tell us how a society would look like under atheism

What Girls Said 6

• i think a person's religious beliefs need to be respected even if they seem stupid.
    people need to shut up and just acknowledge that religions exist, so the best solution is to coexist. the ones who constantly complain about religions are seriously so immature.

• I'm an atheist. I respect religious people, I respect people's right to believe what they want, but I don't respect religious beliefs themselves. I mean, there are some things that religions teach that I agree with, but just because there is some good does not mean the whole thing is good or that people's reasons for believing in their religion are good.

• I am atheist, so not religious but I respect other people's beliefs and religions but also expect them to respect that I don't believe. I actually think religion is really bad for humanity considering the fact that nearly all wars were caused by religion and unbelievably horrible things happened 'in the name of god' (burning of witches, crusades, religious terrorism). However I think that believing can lead people in a way and give them hope. So it has down- and upsides but for me religion is just something I would never support because the downsides are just so much stronger to me. I'm not talking about people believing in god (or gods) though because for me these are two very different things!

• I think that religion divides people. I mean don't all religions worship the same One God? We all just have different ways of showing worship :P

But no matter what your beliefs are, you should show respect to others despite their religion. That includes not trying to shove your religion in other people's faces haha. (I don't mean you, I just know SO many people who do that and go on and on with the whole "you're going to hell because you're not (insert religion here)" and that's just so offensive :P

• Assuming atheism is true and your statement stands that you think religion divides people.

Why would that be objectively "wrong" according tob your worldview and again why should people respect others

• "Like so now I'm supposed to think of things from the perspective of an atheist, and justify my belief that people have free will?"

You don't have to. But if you are an atheist than if you were to be consistent with your worldview view than you would have to justify your "reasoning" to make a claim like we "should" or "shouldn't" act a certain way.

I. e an atheist worldview approaches reality from a very reductionist approach. The immaterial are none existent concepts. Its like someone claiming to be a christian but not believing in jesus. Consistency is key.

Sorry, not to sound antagonistic but i could more easily rationalise your ideas if you're an agnostic. Just commenting :)

• No that's okay I wasn't offended/ didn't feel attacked :) I just hate that after this you'll probably just have an even worse opinion (if you have a bad opinion in the first place) of christians considering I wasn't able to answer your questions or engage you in conversation XD

I don't know a lot about Atheism and how they see things, I just know that we all should respect each other :)

• I admire people with strong faiths

• I am anti-religious but I still respect other peoples religious beliefs

• Antireligious? What exactly is that.

• You like religion, good for you.

• Listen up the both of you, if you don't play nice I'm going to give you both a time out! I'm not joking!

What Guys Said 12

• I think if religion brings something positive to your life, then good for you.

Some people just need to be able to shove all their troubles in the lap of one who is all-knowing, and all-caring. And that's fine.

But if you use your religion as a weapon to abuse other people's rights, then fuck you.

• I'm not religious but I have no problem with religions as long as they don't pass laws giving people of their own beliefs special consideration over others. Government should be neutral to belief systems. A lot of sectarian violence has been caused throughout history when one religious ideology has more legal rights over another.

In summation I'm saying I don't give a damn what people believe in as long as it doesn't negatively influence my life.

• I just pick from various religions, actually from their texts, beliefs, ideas, things which resonate with me, I find interesting, and follow my own path.

• I'm Muslim but I respect other religions, my view about religions is that they aim to share peace and love between people with each other and with the creator, but unfortunately some retarded people use the name of the religion to do horrible things.

• Yeah, I hate it when a handful of people make everyone look bad. I think you'd have to be somewhat ignorant to think all Muslims are like that..."its the media, maaan" haha

• I'm religious but feel like all religions get a bad rep because of those who choose to use their faith as a means of belittling people, argue with people, and in extreme cases murder people. I will forever believe it is not my job to "turn" aanyone, but merely inform them if they are open to my opinion or what I have to say. I just wish more people felt that way, just because I we don't share the same faith doesn't mean we can't be friends or communicate like sensible people.

• I try to stay away from religious topics. Everyone is allowed to believe in their own beliefs

• I respect people who feel the need to believe in some God, but personally I don't like religion.

• I do not follow any religion. What I do is think about many an varied what-ifs. I respect what others believe, except when they try to force their beliefs upon you and say they are right and everyone else is wrong.

• i dont beleive in religion, i beleive in a mono theistic God

• i love relgion but i hate jesus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

• I dont really believe in a "god" but i have always respected everyone who does and any other religion they take part in. But in the last year i have felt like i kind of need something to believe in. I dont know why and i dont exactly understand it but i just can't believe in a god. I dont know

• Same as you -- not religious, but I respect other people's beliefs.