Why aren't any other race in Asia referred as Asians?

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 3

• Asians is a geographical classification which includes many races and ethnic groups.
    But yeah in the western culture it is too complicated to differentiate between them.
    So for me it is the same as other wards like:
    Europeans: British, German , Polish...
    Asians: Indian , Chinese, Saudi...
    African: Sudanese... XD

• I always wondered the same.

• In America East Asians are the one most thought about and familiar with.

What Girls Said 3

• Probably because they have other titles? like brown, middle eastern, russian...
    "asians" usually refers to oriental, but few people really use that (and it sounds awkward)
    and for a lot of people, it's hard to distinguish between chinese, korean, vietnamese, filipino, etc.

• Lol, exactly my thought :p

• Other than what, exactly?

• Chinese, Japanese, Korean or any other race with small eyes. Great I sound super racist now.

• It's the way you worded your question and this comment. Like, You're unintentionally excluding the other Asian groups from being Asian. Like I know it's ironic considering your race and your question, but you literally said something along the lines of "why are Asians the only ones referred to as Asian..(etc)". Like do you see what you did there? I know you didn't mean it but you yourself just called the only Asian groups with 'chinky eyes' as Asians, and like excluded everyone else

• But to answer your question it's because some people are just ignorant. I ddon't mean that in the offensive, condescending way, I just mean that some people just don't know that particular foreign groups belong to the Asian label :P