Is beauty subjective?

I've been wondering about this recently. My parents, grandmother, and certain people always called me handsome, but the people around me and my friends usually say I'm average... Wait a minute, isn't beauty one of the most subjective things in the end?

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutely! Emotions actually influence our perception of other people's appearance as well..
    So while someone in a magazine has to be traditionally beautiful, in real life, the way someone smiles, moves, laughs etc, can make them appear more attractive to everyone around them.

What Girls Said 6

• "Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

• thats very normal dear maybe somebody could see you average and another one could see you the hottest guy on the earth
    my family never told me im pretty and my frinds (girls) telling me im average but guys in my univerciity says im gorgeos. its ok
    for me its just opnions. the most important opnion for me is my love''s opnion but im single now so i would wait my future boyfriend to tell me im pretty hahhaa ;) by the way you seems cool

• I think to a degree beauty is subjective.

• Beauty is one of the most subjective concepts known to man.

• Its %100 subjective. People have different perceptions

• Yea definitely. Like guys my best friend thinks are hot, i usually think are average or below, and she thinks mine are average or below lol. Just different tastes. Everybody has their type.

What Guys Said 4

• Yes, beauty is a very subjective thing. Do you know the phrase "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? It literally means that beauty is subjective.

This is why there are so many different opinions on beauty. One prefers blond hair, while other prefer brown hair. There is a lot to it, but I think that is what makes it (pun-intended) beautiful.

• I think so: things I find beautiful may look ugly or junk to others. Things others find beautiful may look ugly or junk to me.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." You may not like this:

www.vangoghgallery.com/.../...old-of-Eternity).jpg

I do like it.

• definetely ;)

• I think it's 40% subjective...