Can you tell a certain person's nationality just by looking at them?

Occasionally, I can tell someone's nationality from looking at them. For example, I can sometimes tell the difference from a white American and a white British person, there's some very slight differences in the facial features that I can distinguish for some reason. Same with Eastern Europeans. I don't know, it's weird, lol. Can anyone else do this?

Most Helpful Girl

• ME TOO! I can always spot it. I've always wondered if other people could too. It's to the point where I have seen someone and guessed that they were British, or German, and gotten it right.

• Same! German people have a distinctive look. I'm normally that successful with Eastern European people. They have a distinctive look.

• Hmm I think for Germans it's the head shape, it's more square. They have a 'sharp' look that I can't put my finger on by just one feature haha. Same with Eastern Europeans.

• Liquid gold yea :)
      That is accurate! My hubby is German and has a VERY square face and defined jawline!

What Guys Said 6

• You can tell someone's nationality? What the fuck? How the hell can you tell where someone was born?

• I didn't say I could identify where someone was born, just subtle differences in features, SOMETIMES. I didn't say I was some nationality psychic, geez.

• Hmmm... I see where you are getting at. Ok, I take back what I said, I'm sorry. I would argue though that you are going more towards the idea of ethnicity more than nationality. I am a black boy who was born in england which would mean I am nationally British. I guess you are just assuming that the people you are judging ethnically just so happens to be the same nationally. After all, the people you think are nationally japanese, korean etc. can be easily American, British, austrian or whatever.

• It's fine :) by nationality I mean the ethnicity that is most high in population in that nation. I realise that not everyone in a nation is the same race so yeah. So it doesn't apply to the minority races in the country.

• nah... not good at it :/

• Can you make out a Chinese from a Korean from a Japanese from a Taiwanese from a Singaporean from a Thai from a Hong Kong face? Hahaha... "Which one of you hit me? All you look alike!"...

• I've noticed Chinese people usually have rounder and flatter faces than Japanese and Koreans, who also tend to have paler skin. Japanese and Koreans usually don't have flat noses either (don't know if that's due to the high plastic surgery rates though). But that's it lol.

• You're right :) this isn't a hobby or anything by the way. It's just a little gimmick I've noticed I can do :)

• It's an "asset" nevertheless. Dont underestimate it. You can combine it with some other skill.

• I think I'm pretty good at it but it's better to guess ethnicity than nationality

• That's a gift! And a cool one at that.

I suppose there is a way in which you could distinguish someone based off of ethnicity. That's... something I'd REALLY have to look into!

• 0|0
    • AFRIKA!!! Ichiyo nade? Amosi? Owimore?

• Hmm, you look British. Maybeee Eastern European.

• Yeah, I'm from London. xD
      That was too easy lmao

What Girls Said 7