Is darkening skin in cosplay okay, or is it still "blackface"?

Let's say you're going to cosplay Garnet from Steven Universe. Garnet is black and has a big afro. Would it be okay to paint your skin and put on a wig?

Most Helpful Guy

• 'Blackface' was used to make fun of black people.

Blackening your face because you want to look like a black character is not therefore blackface. I don't think there's any problem.

What Guys Said 5

• That's still pulling a blackface. White people can't blackface.

You see, as white people, we just don't get it. When a white person puts on blackface, it's seen as being so offensive because you just dressed up as somebody whose ancestors were slaves and property. But you can remove all of those horrible things with water. Black people can't remove blackface, so seeing some white person just casually wipe it all away is irritating.

Or at least that's how a black friend of mine described it.

All I know is that blackface is offensive.

• That's touchy but I'd say it's okay but don't be too surprised if you get some criticism. If you do a bad job or if it's not close enough to the character you might get flamed for it. Some people still do black face privately then upload pics nowadays, mainly on Halloween , just to be offensive.

• yes... the more closer u resemble da original character... the better :)

• For a cosplay I'd say it's okay.

• That works.

What Girls Said 5

• If it's cosplay then it's all fine and good. Only when someone is doing it to make fun of another race is when it's not cool.

~Sincerely, A black person.

• Erm, I guess.

• It's okay. Only the al sharpton sheep who are looking for excuses to be victimized would be offended.

• I think it's fine

• Why don't you just go get a spray tan or something?