Can you describe a colour with words?

How would you describe the colour blue, for example, to a blind person? Without comparing it to an object just with descriptive words. This question has been on my mind forever.

• No, it's impossible
  • Yeah, I know you can.
  • There must be a way but I haven't figured it out yet
  • I couldn't care less show the results

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 7

• I said option B I think you can - Most people when asked to describe a colour will talk about the emotions they feel when they see that colour.

• I thought about that too. I would try like this: touch this flower (gives a blue bellflower), it's blue; touch this fruit (gives orange), it's orange. Feel this light (moves her/him under bright sun light), it's bright yellow; etc.

• I use numbers, like.. white is 1, orange 2, blue 3, green 4... black ten... and it's going.. they can react easily

• green = blue + yellow

:)

• No, it's not possible. People born completely blind say that our descriptions of colors just seem weird to them, and they haven't even ever caused them to finally see a color.

• lol of course not because colors are just subjactive

• Na, I haven't got synesthesia.

What Girls Said 4

• I would go with feelings as color. When I think of blue I feel sad, when I think red anger, when I feel happy yellow, and so on. You could go so far as to say blue is sad and vibrant and sounds like the ocean, and smells like rain
    :-)

• I guess you could distinguish between 'warm' and 'cool' colours by comparing them to temperature. But I'm not too sure how you would distinguish between individual colours like green, yellow, orange, red, blue etc.

• Blue is warm
    Red is cold

• i dont think you can.