Signs of depression?

Anybody who has experienced depression? Or who is? Please help. :) Thanks. Just anything you do know about being depressed, you can comment.

Most Helpful Guy

• I spent a lot of years dealing with severe clinical depression.

It is insidious, it creates a cycle that perpetuates itself that can be very difficult to break without some form of professional help - either therapeutic or medicative.

It's a lot more subtle than people assume. On a surface level, anyway. It's almost like a sense of boredom. It felt to me like I was walking through life with a wet, heavy blanket over me. Everything seemed almost muffled, I felt tired, it felt like it was a hassle to get up, to go somewhere, to do things.

Things that would normally make me happy stopped doing so. They just became... kind of alright. They didn't suck. Things that used to just be dull started feeling like this huge mountain of obligation that I had to climb, and something that I would want to avoid.

People telling me to 'cheer up' or that 'things will get better' just pissed me off. I started almost resenting their happiness, I felt like them telling me to just look on the bright side was almost a form of them mocking me. I wanted to be left alone. I started avoiding people, I stopped answering my phone, it took me weeks to reply to an email or anything.

Everything seemed like it would take a colossal effort to do. It seemed so tiring, so pointless.

The thing is though, it's usually just biochemical. It's often just a case of chemical imbalances in the brain, which can totally be tweaked with anti-depressants. Which can then get you feeling well enough, energetic enough, to address any of the issues that were starting to cause the spiral down in the first place.

If you want to talk about things more specifically, send me a pm. This is all fairly generic because there is no real context.

• Thank u so much. A lot of that sounds so much like me right now

What Guys Said 13

• Loss of interest in things you use to enjoy
    Low mood , crying spells, loss of appetite
    Weight gain, weight loss, moodiness
    Thoughts of dying , suicidal idealization
    Thoughts of harming others
    Wanting to be alone and away from others
    like isolating your self more often than usual
    Making jokes up about drying , feeling unhappy

• a person wid depression will avoid see others.. or go out in public :)

• There are many signs of depression, but it's very hard to spot them.

Some people when they're depressed they'll fake being happy. You'll probably be able tell the difference when they're happy and when they're faking if you're with them for long enough.

I'm that type of person though, depression's not something people would want to share otherwise they would care and get used to it then they don't care. You can overcome depression by doing things you like though

Another sign of depression is when you're alone most of the time by choice. Some people who are left alone get that way because of the lack of social activities.

The next sign of depression isn't that hard to spot. Just looking at the person and you notice that person looking down. Or if their eyes are nearly shut and not blinking.

Another sign of depression would be if their hands are in their pockets or if they're looking up and not at anyone.

Most depressed people don't have friends or even bother to talk to random people due to certain circumstances.

I should know, my depression however might not be the same as others.
    There's a countless number of ways to spot it in a person. You can even assume that a person is depressed if they're skipping lunch or not going to a party, or even partaking in groups.

• Yes I have been depressed in the past do you think your depressed or something?

• Yes I think that very much!

• Well the most notable signs are isolation you know wanting to be alone usually more then often. Loss of appetite, thoughts of harming yourself or others and suicidal thoughts.

• Yes, I had a very rough childhood and I personally do experience depression periodically. Though not continuously

• i had experienced stress for a long time because i was sick. i didn't want to go outside and just stay home all the time. now i am happy because im healthy

• Loss or gaining of appetite.
    Can't get out of bed in the morning or can't go to sleep at night.

• - Beware of antidepressants:
    robertwhitaker.org/.../...0of%20an%20Epidemic.html

- Get your sleep
    - Avoid loneliness
    - Exercise
    - I once slept in the forest when I was really out of it. Calmed me no end.

• suicidal thoughts are one that is for certain:-)

• Well, Why do you think you're depressed?

• Depression most of the time, Fellings going down, Feel shit, helpless, Nothing I can do or change. Everytime feel like this, I need to get laid. At least that will bring a little help to overcome the depression.

• Everyone goes through some amount of depression during lifetime, so have I. Just letting you know there IS a solution to every problem :)

• They have inferiority complex, sleep less, avoid public

What Girls Said 3

• For more than two weeks have you:

Sleeping too much

Always feeling run down

Lost or gain weight

Sleep disturbance

Feeling tired or no energy

Feeling worthless or excessively guilty

Poor concentration

Recurrent thoughts of death

Lost pleasure or interest in most of your usual activities.

If you ticked yes for most of the points... then you are likely to have a depressive illness.

• I have a couple of family members that have suffered from it. It's a very serious and real illness. Much more that just feeling sad, etc.

You need to go talk to a professional ASAP.

• sleeping, not eating,