I'm unsure about a career after college. What should I do?

I'm unsure about a career after college. What should I do to find something that will align with my interests/likes and that will allow me to be financially stable?

I have a summer internship at a local magazine which has a stipend, but I'm not exactly excited about starting. I'm hoping once I get there that I'll enjoy it and have a clear idea about what kind of path I want to pursue as a career. but it seems like my sister has her stuff figured out, but no career excites me.

My mom believes that since I turned down a full-time job offer that I'm going to sit at home and do nothing once my internship ends. I don't think that she believes I have any ambition. That's another worry of mine. I hate that my decisions are causing my family to not believe in me.

This is a confusing time and I'm not okay with just doing a job that I hate just to earn a living. My mom and my uncle and aunt are content with that – I am not. My interests/skills are: writing (content), pop music history, pop culture and animals. If I could find something that could combine a couple of these things, I'd be okay. I'm also good at and enjoy helping writers in the editing process (editing articles, helping brainstorm).

One of my problems is that my skill set is mostly just in the writing/journalistic arena. I have some skills with social media management but it is not something I'd like to make a career out of.

TL;DR: What questions can I ask myself and what steps can I take to figure out what kind of career path to take?

Most Helpful Guy

• Hard to say...
    I often see vacancies like "Content manager". They are asked to write articles, news, reviews, etc. For example, you could use your writing skills to write articles, news, etc. about music, animals. BUT! Do not take my words as an answer.

Probably it's good to take a professional help. There are some people who help with job orientation. Good specialists ask you to fill psychological test to learn about your aptitude. Talk with you, they think of acceptable professions. Their service cost money (not much and it's only 1 session only, usually >_>), but you'll be provided with some ideas, hopefully, and learn about some new professions. And if you going to work, even a little, you'll, probably, be able to afford it.

And I would say, try to remember any phrases (from various people) which could mention your aptitude, like "you're good at that or this", or "you've talent for this or that". That could point at your natural aptitude too. In my case I remembered it too late U_U

So...
    most reliable - take professional test for "job/profession orientation".
    not so reliable - try remember what people said to you.

What Guys Said 6

• guess yer mom isn't much supportive...

by the way when u say pop music history? guess i could help u... i know much about 80s :)

• Look at everyjob in the world... You will find that every job is a type of serving someone.

So what interests or hobbies do you have that you could possibly surve people with?

• I'm compassionate towards animals. I'm great at journalistic writing.

• I would suggest you pick a job you will enjoy and find meaningful. To hell with money. You will be working a long time it better be something you love.

• Get your masters degree.. Lol stretch out college...

• There's very little paid work in journalism, especially around pop culture, because so many people will do it for free.

I suppose see how the summer internship goes. If you're not excited about it, journalism doesn't sound like its for you!

I'm trying to think about 'animal' related jobs. Vet is a great career that I'm guessing you are not considering. Dog walker is not much of a career. There are probably other jobs between, maybe via zoos etc?

As far as writing goes, there's actually a big need for people who write well in the business world, but generally they want people who can write well about whatever their business is.

• take an aptiterd test

What Girls Said 2

• You should seriously do what you like. If you're good with the pen, dig deep and you will find something that would be what you were looking for.

• take some online quizzes to learn about your true talents and interests